Which brands do you think make the best bikes?

Ast
Ast Posts: 48
edited August 2015 in MTB general
Which brands do you think make the best bikes?

Top 5 (or more!). I think a thread like this might help a newbie like me quickly see which brands to look out for :-)

Comments

• loudog
    loudog Posts: 136
    I think eventually, you will end up with every single brand on the planet...
    It matters not, win or lose, it's how you ride the bike
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Impossible to say because you'd be looking at the best bike in a specific budget. The big brands make some of the best bikes further up their model range but their cheaper bikes can be terrible. Then you have other brands which will be completely out of people's budget straight away.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Apollo
    British Eagle
    Falcon
    Muddyfox
    Vertigo
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    I think its brand C or M...wait a minute its brand Z...

...no its definitely brand M.

TBH - its impossible to answer.

Chris
  • ScareyJ
    ScareyJ Posts: 64
    The obvious answer is Orange x 5!

Though my GT Avi is pretty sweet, as I Upgrade it a piece at a time.

oodboo,

You Deserve every puncture that there is ;)

J
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    oodboo,

You Deserve every puncture that there is ;)
    Ask a silly question...

We would need to know budget, intended use, etc before we could start to give sensible answers. I don't think people should limit themselves to brands at any price point so in my opinion, it's a daft question. A better question would be along the lines of "I've got x amount to spend, plan on riding x and was looking at x. Any good or is there better for the money?" People don't do their own research these days and just expect, or hope, to be told what to buy.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    That is almost the daftest question I've seen asked on here, second only to what is the 'best frame'.

Lots of brands make the best bikes in a particular segment, value, XC, trail, Enduro and DH, not one brand dominates or it would be very obvious and a self answering question.

As it happens I am rather fond of the short travel Scott FS XC bikes.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    BMW, Honda and Peugeot.
  • ScareyJ
    Who Manufactures the best all round, Do It All MTB???
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638

Again it's hard to answer, budget obviously will play a part, but still you could argue the merits of aggressive XC hardtails vs lighter more racy fs all mountain style..

It really depends on what most of your riding will consist of, and budget.

It's a bit like asking what's the best all round car, in theory it would be a ford focus, as its reasonably well built for a reasonable price, it's a reasonable size and has reasonable performance and is reasonably nice to look at and is reasonably comfortable. It's also reasonably cheap to maintain.

It's also not particularly exiting, some people would prefer rear wheel drive or 4x4, some want a more luxurious interior for long drives, some want more performance for blasting around..

I suppose what you are asking is "what is the ford focus" of mountain bikes? I would guess a good quality hard tail in the £300 to £500 price range.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Kona. Yes, definitely Kona.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    When I had a Specialized it was Specialized
    When I had a GT it was GT
    When I had a On One
    then a Commencal
    then Canyon then Blah blah blah
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    best all round? as in bike most suited to what you are doing all of the time?

Bionicon.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774

To answer the question who MANUFACTURES the best all round mountain bike it's probably Merida or one of the other two or three massive Taiwanese factories which make the majority of frames.
    The answer is definitely not Orange.
  • Ast
    That is almost the daftest question I've seen asked on here, second only to what is the 'best frame'.

Why is it so daft? Is the bike industry so unusual that products offered by manufacturers vary in quality that much?

Ask people who make the best phones, speakers, cars, computers, pretty much anything and people will have an opinion on who _they_ think make the best.

It's definitely not good for the industry if none of the manufacturers can provide consistent quality across the range :|
  • cooldad
    Most make everything from rubbish to excellent. Depends on the price.

Some boutique brands generally make good stuff.

Generally the frames are OK, the bits hanging off them can be nasty.

So people buy the brand and get rubbish. Or pay more and get better.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Ast

Makes you wonder though, why would bike manufacturers risk destroying their brand reputation by bundling crappy parts? If just one brand started to not do that they could well be the 'best' and everyone would be mentioning them in this thread :lol:
  • ScareyJ
    I hate it when me sarky questions take off ;)

Best bikes ever???

TOWNSEND
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638

Makes you wonder though, why would bike manufacturers risk destroying their brand reputation by bundling crappy parts? If just one brand started to not do that they could well be the 'best' and everyone would be mentioning them in this thread :lol:

When martin guitars started making sub £1000 instruments the purists scoffed, and said the same thing, it's destroying the brand.
    The answer is simple economics, the vast majority of bike sales are say under £600, the percentage of 2 grand bikes sold is miniscule by comparison.. Companies need to sell more to make more profit and grow.
  • cooldad
    They've been doing it for ever.

Example, this is my 1995 Kona Hahanna, which was bottom of the range, plain gauge pipe, Acera sort of level bits. Makes a decent commuter and still well above BSO level.

yEcoB7MPbz2Km-zTreah7AOngwe0164Xy5DpqQclf5E=w1278-h719-no

This is my 1996 Kona Explosif, basically top of the range except for some specials. Came with Columbus Max tubing, Magura hydraulic rim brakes and excellent components. Currently has XTR cranks, hubs and XT other bits. Much lighter, zingier, rides like a dream, climbs and accelerates better than anything else I have.

TLq_96rwusvn7DurPiFde9fWHK-A-SJTkasYkdalVQ8=w1278-h719-no

The look the same, same geometry etc, but very very different bikes. And one was four times as much when new.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    How about phrasing the question - if you were forced to stick with just one brand throughout your life from a complete novice MTB'er (with appropriately restrictive budget) to racing at UK level, who would you place your bets with?

Obviously the "big" brands cover most ranges, but all have a weak spot in their portfolio - e.g. Decathlon, good at low price point, perhaps restricted at the top end, Spesh are poor value at the low end, but have world class machinery at the top end.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • Ast
    How about phrasing the question - if you were forced to stick with just one brand throughout your life from a complete novice MTB'er (with appropriately restrictive budget) to racing at UK level, who would you place your bets with?

Obviously the "big" brands cover most ranges, but all have a weak spot in their portfolio - e.g. Decathlon, good at low price point, perhaps restricted at the top end, Spesh are poor value at the low end, but have world class machinery at the top end.

Tbh, that was the sort of answer I was hoping for (which is why I didn't name the thread 'Who makes the best bikes?' but rather gauge people's personal opinions - but maybe it was too subtle :lol: ).
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    In a way it's globalisation that makes the question so hard to answer and also what makes the "big" brands such poor value at the budget end of the market. Cooldad has mentioned similar themes in his posts.
    At the time when his Konas were new, the mass production of MTB frames in the Far East was not so established in the volumes they are today. The strategy I used to choose my first MTB in 1997 was to buy the best frame I could afford but with entry level components with a view to upgrading when they wore out. My £500 bike had the same frame as the £1200 top of the range, bonded aluminium made in the USA.
    The same strategy wouldn't work today. The frames are now almost all produced in the Far East in such large volumes that the differences in production costs are reduced and so the difference in quality between a budget frame and an upper-mid range frame is much less. This means that the place where the manufacturers can make changes to maintain their profitability is in the components, most crucially the fork.
    Not only does this make it tricky to identify the "Best Brand", one manufacturers range can be stonking one year and with components downgraded to avoid price hikes, rubbish the next year.
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp