Budget Winter Bike

EasyPeez
EasyPeez Posts: 25
edited August 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi,

As a relatively recent convert to road cycling it has become gradually more and more apparent to me that my current commuting plan of cycling every day in good weather and taking the car whenever it's nasty out or rain is forecast is not likely to work through the winter. In short, since starting cycling again regularly in March I am totally hooked. I simply can't face the idea of taking weeks or months off daily cycling whilst waiting for Spring to arrive, as I had originally assumed I'd do. However, nor can I face the idea of dragging my lovely shiny road bike through rain, salt and slush...

So, I have just begun scouting about for a suitable winter bike option, but feel a bit lost as to the best way forward. My priorities are low-budget, durable and low maintenance. I would prefer something reasonably light and quick, ideally (though not essentially) with drop bars. It's very flat where I live, so perhaps gears are not essential, though I've never ridden single-speed/fixed and we do get a lot of strong winds so maybe ditching gears altogether would be a mistake? I want guards but don't need panniers. Strong wheels for the bad roads and tyres with decent grip in all weathers and as much puncture protection as possible are also high on my agenda.

Initially I was looking at getting a 'proper' commuting bike with hub gears, but further research has made me wary. Then I was looking at fixed gear options, which I am still keen on but aware that I know next to nothing about fixies so might not enjoy riding one, especially in the wind, as I know some people don't get on with them at all. The third viable option seems to be CX, which ticks most of my boxes except the low-maintenance - I was angling at saving up for a CX bike for next year anyway, but can't afford the kind of CX I'd really like in time for this winter. And to splash out a lot of money on a CX that I'll feel just as attached to and which will require just as much maintenance as my current roadie seems to defeat the object somewhat.

I'll see if I can find links to some of the things I've been looking at to give a better idea of where my thinking is at. Sorry for the long post, would really appreciate any advice from others who ride through the winter on what works best for them.

Cheers, Steve.

Comments

• EasyPeez
    This was the kind of thing I was initially looking at - http://www.cube.eu/uk/bikes/tour/hyde/cube-hyde-race-black-blue-shinyblack-2015/

The Cube itself is out of my price range, so I'd need to either find one second hand or a similar option from a different manufacturer at a lower price point. What's thrown me off this kind of bike is that I called in at my local Cube dealer to see if I could see one and he said they don't stock them only order them in on request and that he personally doesn't recommend them as the few he's had have been very hit and miss in terms of hub gears set-up, and when they are not set up perfectly are difficult and potentially very expensive to fix. He also said it's much more of a faff changing a rear wheel puncture with hub gears.

So I'm thinking commuter-style bike
    Pros - Very low maintenance, comfortable ride, durable
    Cons - Very wary of hub gears, not the lightest/quickest, punctures - I need to be able to fix one quickly on my commute if I get one, and not sure I could with a hub gear bike

For fixie/single speed I was looking at Mango Bikes as they seem very good value - http://www.mangobikes.co.uk/
    However, if I'm honest with myself I might struggle not to seek out something more stylish like this! - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bianchi-Pista-Single-Speed-/151790207103?hash=item235766c07f
    Can anyone recommend any other brands/models of single speed that are good value please?

Fixie/Single-speed
    Pros - Very low maintenance, light and quick, the cheapest option if I stick to something entry-level
    Cons - Don't know anything about gear ratio that would best suit me, would i be able to enjoy riding it in wet and windy weather?, could I avoid temptation to spend unneccesary cash on a more stylish model (prob not!), could I find one that would take decent winter tyres?

FInally, I saw that Halfords have the Boardman Team CX in their sale, and with my BC membership I could have it for around £585. This seems like a real bargain.
    http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/boardman-cx-team-bike
    So should I just go for a CX and have done?

Budget CX
    Pros - Quick, durable, strong wheels and grippy tyres, saves me buying an expensive CX next year meaning I can channel my n+1 money elsewhere (spanking wheelset? carbon roadie? recumbent?!)
    Cons - Won't be low maintenace, Won't be quite the sexy CX I was saving towards.

Again, sorry for all the blather, just wanted to give as full an account of where I am at in the hope of receiving relevant advice and not wasting anyone's time. Thankyou.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    That Boardman CX is decent for the price - to be honest it's probably a good bet (particularly as you mention you are interested in cyclocross - getting it now would mean you have it for the season) except the low maintenance thing - I bought something similar a couple of years back and the Avid BB5 brakes self destructed over the course of winter (the adjustment dial completely jammed solid) so I ended up buying TRP Spyres to replace them which worked a lot better (and have lasted ever since).

One consideration for hub gears, they can be quite tricky to set up by the road (which you need to if you get a rear puncture) so you probably want some very sturdy tyres (eg marathons) or to stretch to Alfine di2 hub gears to avoid the problem.

I bought myself a Genesis Day One Disc this year for commuting in bad conditions, because I felt bad about riding my nice CX bike on winter roads - as a bad weather commuter it's pretty near perfect, and being single speed, rather than fixed means that there's less of an adjustment period. Enormous tyre clearance, excellent brakes, sturdy steel.

One problem common to almost all fixed/single speed/hub geared bikes is that because they have horizontal drop outs using full mud guards is much more complicated, as they get in the way of rear wheel changes - you might need to change to an ass-saver/crud catcher type at the rear. The horizontal drop outs allow the rear wheel to slide backwards and forwards as required to compensate for chain wear to keep it tight (but not too tight!)
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If disc brakes aren't an absolute must...

http://www.merlincycles.com/kinesis-racelight-t2-complete-bike-79103.html

I have the marginally lighter Tk as a dedicated wet / winter bike and it's excellent. Ridden year round (I was out on it last night in the rain) 8 years old and still mint. All it's needed are chains, tyres, one cassette and one BB. Oh, and new Chromoplastic mudguards when the road salt dissolved the alloy rivets on the originals.
  • timothyw
    Or get a turbo trainer..

Oh yeah, that'd be perfect for the commute. :roll:
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Or get a turbo trainer..

I was thinking more for when, (and I quote) "taking the car whenever it's nasty out or rain is forecast". There's likely to be quite a few of those days.
  • jimmyt-11
    jimmyt-11 Posts: 119
    If your on the flat a single speed could be a great option as they are such low maintenance. get one with a flip flop hub so you can use the freewheel if you don't get on with fixed. since you have a road bike too switching from fixed to that may be too strange for you.

also they tend to come with deeper section wheels which will be hardier on the commute, though not as good in high winds, though I think the former should be more important for you.

since they are so simple why not look at building on yourself?
  • timothyw
    Or get a turbo trainer..

I was thinking more for when, (and I quote) "taking the car whenever it's nasty out or rain is forecast". There's likely to be quite a few of those days.
    Er he also said "I simply can't face the idea of taking weeks or months off daily cycling whilst waiting for Spring to arrive, as I had originally assumed I'd do. However, nor can I face the idea of dragging my lovely shiny road bike through rain, salt and slush..."

Do you honestly find a workout on the turbo comparable to the enjoyment of a ride outdoors?

At no point does he mention a concern for his fitness, which is the reason most people resort to the turbo.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Or get a turbo trainer..

Er he also said "I simply can't face the idea of taking weeks or months off daily cycling whilst waiting for Spring to arrive, as I had originally assumed I'd do. However, nor can I face the idea of dragging my lovely shiny road bike through rain, salt and slush..."

Do you honestly find a workout on the turbo comparable to the enjoyment of a ride outdoors?

At no point does he mention a concern for his fitness, which is the reason most people resort to the turbo.

OK you win.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Second hand if you take some time will get virtually brand new bikes at half or less of their retail price.
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    That Boardman CX does look good value! Not sure if it's relevant to the OP but quite interested myself, does anyone know if the forks have mudguard eyelets? Can see them at the back but not the front?
  • jimmyt-11
    That Boardman CX does look good value! Not sure if it's relevant to the OP but quite interested myself, does anyone know if the forks have mudguard eyelets? Can see them at the back but not the front?

I don't think it does but you would still be able to fit mudguards, SKS do some that don't require the fixing points
  • Th3P
    Th3P Posts: 91
    In a very similar situation and settled on a CX bike with Discs, I would say keep a close eye on eBay listing and filter by "nearest first" you will find some bikes go really cheap as they offer collection only so limit the bidders. Then also check Gumtree/Preloved etc, Ive lined up a CX with Discs and Tiagra groupset for £350 just need to collect it.
    So many people seem to have bought with best intentions and they just haven't been used
  • W12_Lad
    W12_Lad Posts: 184

The new ones do, I saw one in the flesh last week. Just make sure you're not getting old stock as they are identical apart from that.

Although, saying that, I have the one without eyelets and I have full sks chromoplastics fitted. I used the Elite bottle cage mounts on the front forks and once set up, I haven't needed to touch them in 3000 miles.
  • If disc brakes aren't an absolute must...

I have the marginally lighter Tk as a dedicated wet / winter bike and it's excellent. Ridden year round (I was out on it last night in the rain) 8 years old and still mint. All it's needed are chains, tyres, one cassette and one BB. Oh, and new Chromoplastic mudguards when the road salt dissolved the alloy rivets on the originals.

^^ +1 ^^

Had I been able to get one of these at this price at the start of the year, I would have bought one of these instead of the alloy 2014 Defy that I bought.
  • EasyPeez
    That Boardman CX is decent for the price - to be honest it's probably a good bet (particularly as you mention you are interested in cyclocross - getting it now would mean you have it for the season) except the low maintenance thing - I bought something similar a couple of years back and the Avid BB5 brakes self destructed over the course of winter (the adjustment dial completely jammed solid) so I ended up buying TRP Spyres to replace them which worked a lot better (and have lasted ever since).

One consideration for hub gears, they can be quite tricky to set up by the road (which you need to if you get a rear puncture) so you probably want some very sturdy tyres (eg marathons) or to stretch to Alfine di2 hub gears to avoid the problem.

I bought myself a Genesis Day One Disc this year for commuting in bad conditions, because I felt bad about riding my nice CX bike on winter roads - as a bad weather commuter it's pretty near perfect, and being single speed, rather than fixed means that there's less of an adjustment period. Enormous tyre clearance, excellent brakes, sturdy steel.

One problem common to almost all fixed/single speed/hub geared bikes is that because they have horizontal drop outs using full mud guards is much more complicated, as they get in the way of rear wheel changes - you might need to change to an ass-saver/crud catcher type at the rear. The horizontal drop outs allow the rear wheel to slide backwards and forwards as required to compensate for chain wear to keep it tight (but not too tight!)

Thanks for the considered feedback. I have ridden a bike with TRP Spyres before and was impressed so wouldn't mind upgrading to those on the winter bike next year. Shouldn't be too costly.
    Would love a Genesis Day One but I think that's a bit above my budget sadly.
    I think I am going off the idea of Hub gears the more I consider this conundrum - apparently the jumps between gears are quite large, so as it's all flat around here and I'd only use a hub geared bike for commuting they would probably end up just adding weight and puncture headaches without conferring any significant benefit.
    I reckon single speed or budget CX is the way to go. Mudguard issues with flip-flop set up is not something I was aware of so thanks for clueing me in. I guess that's another mark against the single speed option...hmmm
  • EasyPeez
    If disc brakes aren't an absolute must...

I do like the Kinesis bikes a lot. At £530 though the Boardman CX Team would come in £150 cheaper and would offer better off-road options, which is something I was keen to add to the stable anyway. Not quite the CX I had in mind, but would free up my longer terms readies to go towards a carbon roadie or recumbent as my off-road needs and winter bike needs would both be met in one bike.
    I guess I'd need to budget for different tyres and mudguards though, so prob more like £50-70 cheaper overall than the Kinesis on that basis.
  • EasyPeez

Wow - that does look excellent value. Nice enough to look at too, without being so pretty as to bring out my OCD cleaning tendencies! Any idea how much it weighs in at? Can't seem to see any info on the spec sheet.
    Cheers.
  • EasyPeez
    If your on the flat a single speed could be a great option as they are such low maintenance. get one with a flip flop hub so you can use the freewheel if you don't get on with fixed. since you have a road bike too switching from fixed to that may be too strange for you.

also they tend to come with deeper section wheels which will be hardier on the commute, though not as good in high winds, though I think the former should be more important for you.

I would love to do this one day. Sadly I think if I took this idea on it wouldn't be ready for winter 2017, never mind this winter! Full-time job, 2 young kids, run my own voluntary organisation in my own time, gardening hobby and cycle avg 150 miles a week. Barely time left to wipe my bum after all that!
  • EasyPeez
    Second hand if you take some time will get virtually brand new bikes at half or less of their retail price.
    Half-price or less for virtually new bikes? Really?! You'll have to give me some tips. I was looking last night and found a CAADX Tiagra going for more on 2nd hand than it's listed at new on Evans site! I find most CX and road/single speed bikes that come up on ebay etc are too big for me (currently ride a 54 frame) and/or listed in Wales or London or Inverness! (East Yorks here). Am I doing something wrong or just need more patience/perseverance?

• Wow - that does look excellent value. Nice enough to look at too, without being so pretty as to bring out my OCD cleaning tendencies! Any idea how much it weighs in at? Can't seem to see any info on the spec sheet.
    Cheers.

Sorry I don't know, very few quote weights anyway. Give them a call.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Half-price or less for virtually new bikes? Really?! You'll have to give me some tips. I was looking last night and found a CAADX Tiagra going for more on 2nd hand than it's listed at new on Evans site! I find most CX and road/single speed bikes that come up on ebay etc are too big for me (currently ride a 54 frame) and/or listed in Wales or London or Inverness! (East Yorks here). Am I doing something wrong or just need more patience/perseverance?

Its just patience and keep looking. If you don't live in or near cities you may have to travel a bit to collect.
  • jimmyt-11

I would love to do this one day. Sadly I think if I took this idea on it wouldn't be ready for winter 2017, never mind this winter! Full-time job, 2 young kids, run my own voluntary organisation in my own time, gardening hobby and cycle avg 150 miles a week. Barely time left to wipe my bum after all that!

haha, go you.
    its taken me a couple of months so far on mine and im still not finish. alternatively the mango single speed bikes are very well reviewed. if I were going to buy one 'off the shelf' I would be heading over there. you cant beat the simplicity of a single speed, many many happy miles with very little maintenance.