giant defy sizing help

JD59
JD59 Posts: 19
edited August 2015 in Road buying advice
So, I have been into my LBS today with the intention of buying a 2015 Giant Defy 1. I prefer to buy from a shop rather than online and this particular shop goes to great lengths to do a full fit included in the price.

I was disappointed to find, however, that they did not have one in my apparent correct size ( M/L) but did have one in L. Inevitably, I ended up tryng it and the very helpful and apparently knowledgeable chap did lots of adjustments to the stem and seat and kept taking measurements of where my feet were etc ( this was on a treadmill, not just stationary). He concluded that the bike was ok for me with all these adjustments and that they would be making further adjustments in any full bike fit which takes 30-40 minutes.

He offered me a good deal (£750) and I was on the brink of going with it but he could see my doubts and suggested I go in again tomorrow when his partner, who actually does the bike fits, will be there for a second opinion.

I have just looked at the Giant website and I am well and truly in the M/L size at 5 foot 11 and 1/2 and inside leg 31". The chap cast doubt on the published details and was pretty sure I was ok.

I just worry that I will always have a mental block in my mind if I go for it and perhaps should just get the correct size online. Any thoughts about the sizing issue welcome.

Comments