A tent for cycle touring

letap73
letap73 Posts: 1,608
edited July 2016 in Tour & expedition
As per heading - looking for recommendations.
Primarily looking for a light weight tent which packs small. I already own a Terra Nova Quasar which is a fantastic tent - thus I favour Terra Nova - helps that they are not based too far from me. At the moment I am favouring the Polar Ultra which I can get for circa £250 - its less than 2kg, packs small - as additional bonus its a good size and 4 seasons so I can go lightweight back packing as well. Before I press the button I would be interested to hear other suggestions - budget is not an issue.

Comments

• mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    If you are on your own, I can recommend the Terra Nova Solar Competition 2. It packs up very small, easily fitting in an Ortlieb rear pannier, and weighs just 1.1kg, although you might want to supplement the toothpick titanium pegs with something a bit stronger from Alpkit. This tent is really quick to pitch with a free-standing inner and its resistance to wind and rain is exceptional if you pitch tail into the wind. For one person with four panniers, space is adequate but it would be very crowded for sleeping two. It is much more resistant to bad weather than the Terra Nova Laser.

It's listed at £400 but I got mine significantly cheaper from Sports Direct.
  • src1
    src1 Posts: 301
    How about a Terra Nova Superlite Voyager @ 1.5Kg?

I used to use a superlite Quasar and liked it, though I prefer our Hilleberg tunnel tent for space and outer first pitching.
  • letap73
    Thanks gents.
    Can't find the solar competition model - but there is solar photon model which is even lighter?
    Considered the superlite Voyager - discounted the hilleberg due to how well it packs according to the Hilleberg website - can it fit into a pannier?
  • mercia_man
    The Solar Competition 2 is on TerraNova's website. I've just checked. It was on the third page when I clicked on all tents. The Photon saves weight by having lighter materials including a more flimsy groundsheet and doesn't have the useful rear triangle poles which give extra ventilation at the back end, freestanding inner and more space for your feet. I think the Photon is more useful for ultimate weight-savers such as mountain marathon racers.

I've used several tents in more than 25 years of cycle camping and reckon my Solar Competition 2 is the best of the lot as long as you are on your own and prepared to compromise with internal space.

I still have my Hilleberg tunnel tent. I always liked it but the Solar is half the weight, has a more waterproof groundsheet, has shorter poles and its v-shaped roof sheds water better. Still managed to fit the Hilleberg into my pannier, however. And my model, the Nallo, has much more room for two people and more useable bell end for cooking and pannier storage.
  • src1
    src1 Posts: 301
    Thanks gents.
    Can't find the solar competition model - but there is solar photon model which is even lighter?
    Considered the superlite Voyager - discounted the hilleberg due to how well it packs according to the Hilleberg website - can it fit into a pannier?

I leave the inner and outer attached, so that does mean a bigger package, but no problem getting into my ortlieb panniers. Which Hilleberg were you thinking of, the Nallo? For me, I like the roominess, speed and security of outer first pitching it's more robust than the superlite/laser tents from terra nova. All good tents tho!
  • letap73
    Thanks again chaps.
    From what I see the solar competition is only on sale at Terra Nova for £400
    The solar photon I can see for £330 online - but it has clear disadvantages to the competition.
    The Akto and Nallo are heavier and don't pack as well but are more robust they are also more expensive.

The other two options the Voyager Superlite and Polar micro are right in the middle
  • mercia_man
    I've also heard good things about the MSR Hubba HP. Have a look at www.highsports.co.uk who have them on special offer.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    I was impressed with this tent when I looked at it:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/quickhiker-ultralight-2-hiking-tent-2-man-grey-id_8245650.html

big_3ea64a12ceb64a219c1ec2a5eeea3539.jpg

It's a bit under 2kgs.
  • I was impressed with this tent when I looked at it:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/quickhiker-ultralight-2-hiking-tent-2-man-grey-id_8245650.html

big_3ea64a12ceb64a219c1ec2a5eeea3539.jpg

It's a bit under 2kgs.

I bought one of these to take with me on a bike to a wedding on a farm, where everyone camped. Seemed pretty light - and worked pretty well! Not massive inside but big enough for two to sleep and has a covered area outside the inner tent to keep your pannier bags dry.
  • The one I use is the Terra Nova Wild Country Sololite. That tent is only made for one person weighs just 4.2 pounds.
    I did read on the internet once that a very experienced tourer recommended buying the cheapest tent you could find like the kind that Walmart sells. His reasoning for that advice was that in his experience tents don't last long anyways so why buy a real expensive tent? The only problem with that though is that the article was written 10 years ago and today Walmart tents are made like crap.

There are two styles of tents on the market, freestanding and tunnels, read this about the pros and cons of each and select the style best for you: http://www.outdoorgearup.com/