How long is a piece of string?
I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Definitely the new Trek 700g hardtail or the Litespeed Sewanee or the Giant Glory, oh wait they are totally different frames and can't possibly be compared.

Better to decide the type of riding first and then chose a frame and not the other way round.

Budget? The best frames are over £1500, some by a lot' is that how much you have to spend on it?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Impossible to say which is best. You couldn't say whether a super light xc race frame is better or worse than an ultra fast downhill race bike. It would be like trying to compare a Bowler Wildcat 4x4 to a Ariel Atom lightweight sports car. They do a very different job.
  • The Rookie
    Based on the OP's only other post he won't be back to comment anyway!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    I think the one which fits you, isn't it ?

Where do you get these questions from ???
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599

Fail.

Although not quite as badly as the OP.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    If you're a beginner then it doesn't really matter does it.

I have pieces of sting in two jars. One marked 'string too long', the other 'string too short' that way I know what to use.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    If you're a beginner then it doesn't really matter does it.

I have pieces of sting in two jars. One marked 'string too long', the other 'string too short' that way I know what to use.

Ah but then do you also have extra jars for the width of string, this is so you know which strings you can push and ones that can only be pulled.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • The Rookie
    sorry I don't know what do you mean by a piece of string.... I'm a beginner...
    In this case, what do you want to do with the frame, different frames are designed for different uses, so the usage will suggest which frame may suite you best.

Again, what budget, the best frame in any category is going to be costing over £1500, to do that justice you are looking at a build cost for the bike in excess of £2500, probably over £3500, is that what you are happy to pay?

Fail.

Although not quite as badly as the OP.

Indeed - on both counts!
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Actually there is an answer to that on a statistical basis.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    I think that the iconic and best frame ever is / was the post 2008 Orange P7.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • rockmonkeysc
    I think that the iconic and best frame ever is / was the post 2008 Orange P7.

What a load of #### The P7 was a five bar gate with wheels. Made from pig iron.
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    Perhaps the question the OP was trying to ask was something more along the lines of...

"What in your opinion is the stand-out frame design in terms of the influence and contribution made to the development of the modern mountain bike?"

You get the idea? The frame that when it appeared represented a step change, after which the way people thought about bikes was altered permanently.
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • cooldad
    If that was his question, it's not the one he asked, especially as he said he wants to buy one for a friend.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    I feel quite sure that it is what he really meant and he fully intends to buy his friend a previously enjoyed icon of MTB frame development...
    I should like to nominate my Trek ZX frame, the far-reaching impact of the bonded (basically glued) joint technology reflected by the fact that no frames are made that way now.
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • cooldad
    Unless I've gone blind, the OP has been deleted.

So to recap, what is the best bike frame ever?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    The Raleigh Burner obviously
  • The Rookie
    1997 Gary Fisher Piranha, there are so many good things about this frame I don't have room here to list them.

As a remarkable coincidence I happen to have one spare which I'd be willing to let go of for a suitably negotiated sum.
  • cooldad
    I have a slightly used kidney.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • mog1404
    mog1404 Posts: 60
    Gt zaskar best frame ever in its day worst got to be the climbing frame I jumped off and bit my tongue off when I was 7