Anyone racing on a metal frame?

jamie4759
jamie4759 Posts: 117
edited August 2015 in Road buying advice
Hello all. I am currently considering a metal frame (Titanium, stainless, steel) for crit racing (Cat 4/3), which will also be used for chain gangs and the usual summer shenanigans. I am thinking of changing my Condor Leggero carbon frame and having a custom frame made up. I know the carbon brigade will leap on me from a huge height but I like the ride of high end steel and Ti. I currently have a Ti winter bike from Seven which is sublime and I know that the top builders can make a frame suitable for the jobs in hand. I am considering Independent Fabrication, Moots, Seven, Rourke, (plus any others recommended) and would like any feedback from riders that have used bikes from these builders for racing etc. I would like to hear other riders views on stainless steel and whether they have used that for racing too. I have all of the components already so I can spend a bit more than usual on the frame. All views very welcome. Let the debate begin.....

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Hello all. I am currently considering a metal frame (Titanium, stainless, steel) for crit racing (Cat 4/3), which will also be used for chain gangs and the usual summer shenanigans. I am thinking of changing my Condor Leggero carbon frame and having a custom frame made up. I know the carbon brigade will leap on me from a huge height but I like the ride of high end steel and Ti. I currently have a Ti winter bike from Seven which is sublime and I know that the top builders can make a frame suitable for the jobs in hand. I am considering Independent Fabrication, Moots, Seven, Rourke, (plus any others recommended) and would like any feedback from riders that have used bikes from these builders for racing etc. I would like to hear other riders views on stainless steel and whether they have used that for racing too. I have all of the components already so I can spend a bit more than usual on the frame. All views very welcome. Let the debate begin.....

How about getting a condor super acciaio, see how you get on, then if you still want to race on steel then get custom. Personally, for road racing, I'd stick with something at the cheaper end of the market. You don't want to get your new pride and joy smashed up due to some chopper dive bombing in to a corner.(If I road race it has been/will be on my Ribble winter bike with the mudguards and rack taken off!)
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    +1 on the cheaper steel options. I'd not spend mega bucks on an ever lasting stainless or ti frame to see it totalled in its first season.

Save on the bike and spend on training !
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    I'm surprised you haven't mentioned it in your post, the stainless steel Genesis Volare is raced by the Madison Genesis pro team, and it's primarily designed for criterium racing. You can get some pretty good deals on the 2015 Volare line up now if you're quick.

I also read recently that specialized have just produced a new aluminium frame with a new bottom bracket design to make it extra stiff, totally focussed on crit racing (to the point that it doesn't have a front dérailleur mount).

Also, as NapoleonD has hinted at, the rough and tumble of crit racing means that a lot of people don't want to risk their good bikes taking part, so I doubt you'd be the only one there on a metal bike at the average event.

So in short, if it's what you want, go for it.
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    Agree with the above, I am building a crit bike for next year and it will be aluminium, relatively cheap and functional, as the saying goes race what you can afford to replace (especially is a Cat 3/4 race).

If I was in your shoes I would be looking at the following as a race bike and then get something fancy that floats your boat for long Sunday rides etc.

Bowman Palace
    Specialized Allez E5 Smartweld
    Cannondale Caad 10
    Racelight Aithein
    Cannondale System Six (second-hand, if you can find one, the do have a carbon front end but is possible the best crit bike you will ever ride (if you can find one))

+ there must be a couple of others, I haven't mentioned.
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Agree with the above, I am building a crit bike for next year and it will be aluminium, relatively cheap and functional, as the saying goes race what you can afford to replace (especially is a Cat 3/4 race).

If I was in your shoes I would be looking at the following as a race bike and then get something fancy that floats your boat for long Sunday rides etc.

Bowman Palace
    Specialized Allez E5 Smartweld
    Cannondale Caad 10
    Racelight Aithein
    Cannondale System Six (second-hand, if you can find one, the do have a carbon front end but is possible the best crit bike you will ever ride (if you can find one))

+ there must be a couple of others, I haven't mentioned.

One of these bad boys!

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/frames-frames-road-ribble-7005-ultralite-racing-frame/ribbfrar275
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Don't forget the Ritchey Road Logic. Cheap as chips with an amazing fork and racey geometry.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg