Stem length.

Clockworkmark31
Clockworkmark31 Posts: 1,053
edited September 2015 in MTB general
My two pence is I have gone from a 90mm stem before straight to 50mm initially loved it. Months later still loved it, but found a few niggles, sometimes the turning seemed like I had to go slower. Ie, bars at my knees.

I currently have a 90mm stem on my current bike and wouldn't hesitate at going 50mm again but I have a slight niggle if 60 or 70mm would be better.

I know it doesn't answer your question, but it is just my thoughts. Also as people will comment it will depend on your riding style etc.

Most of the time steering was faster, but sometimes with a shorter stem and wider bar it was slower as it was wanting to foul on my knees.

Depends on riding and people with more experience will comment.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Kalloy Uno range are great value lightweight stems with a good reputation, add Ti bolts and you can get down to circa 80-85g
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Try and find cheap stems on ebay to test out different lengths - some times you can get a bargain on a decent brand stem - 70mm would be my shout to try.

What bars are you running? As Clockworkmark says - shortening the stem effects the steering and, as a general rule, to offset the shorter stem, a wider bar is a good addition. Also helps keep position on the bike decent.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Success then.

I'm going to try Paul's advice when I change mine over and just get a cheap selection first.

Without hijacking. Does stem angle or rise matter ie, 0° or 10°?
  • It's just one way of setting bar height. You can achieve the same effect with bar rise or changing the amount of spacers under the stem