100mm to 90mm Stem Install

mpzinkann
mpzinkann Posts: 10
edited August 2015 in Workshop
I just swapped my stem for a slightly shorter stem. After i installed it, the cap wouldn't go on! I had to remove a spacer in order for the cap to go on but now i have a very slight gap between the gap and the new stem.

Is this ok? I have a feeling i should have just bought the stem from my LBS and had them install it. :(

Comments

• 47p2
    47p2 Posts: 329
    Not all stems have the same stack height, you'll need to fit another spacer onto the steerer to be able to adjust the tension properly.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I just swapped my stem for a slightly shorter stem. After i installed it, the cap wouldn't go on! I had to remove a spacer in order for the cap to go on but now i have a very slight gap between the gap and the new stem.

Is this ok? I have a feeling i should have just bought the stem from my LBS and had them install it. :(

There should be NO gap between the top cap and the stem. If there is, you need to fit another spacer.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    you should have some spacer or stem overlapping the fork steerer tube so that the top cap sits above the fork steerer and can compress the headset bearings