Do I really need XL Grand Canyon AL 29 5.9?

_Gecko_
_Gecko_ Posts: 9
edited August 2015 in MTB buying advice
I'm 6ft 2 inches. Their website says I should buy an XL. Bike radar review says you should size up. Friend of mine says you should size down when buying to keep centre of gravity low. Don't know how knowledgable he actually is.

What are you guys saying?

Comments

• batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    I'm saying you won't really know until you sit on it.
    The consensus seems to be that fit in terms of reach is preferable to standover clearance. To offer any opinion on Canyon's fit for you, you'll have to supply inside leg measurement as well as height.
    They are pretty good about swapping if the size isn't right, or even refunding and taking back (at no cost to you).
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Im 6'1" and a quick look at the geometry suggests that I would definitely want the XL. I'm on a large Transition at the moment but have had XL bikes in the past.
    A smaller bike being better for a lower C of G is rubbish. The front end will be the same height and the saddle will be extended up to the same height and the bottom bracket is the same height. The smaller bike might be too short in length and end up cramped.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Friend of mine says you should size down when buying to keep centre of gravity low. Don't know how knowledgable he actually is.
    Not at all knowledgeable, the BB height stays the same regardless of size, so the riders CofG height seated or out the saddle is the same and your friend clearly didn't even spend 5 seconds thinking about it. CofG of the bike may move up a small amount, but hardly relevant when the bike weighs 13.5Kg and the rider about 5-6 times that.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • _Gecko_
    _Gecko_ Posts: 9
    Thanks chaps. You've answered by query perfectly. I'm getting one of them on order.

My inside leg is 34 I do believe. Definitely an XL by Canyon's reckoning.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Thanks chaps. You've answered by query perfectly. I'm getting one of them on order.

My inside leg is 34 I do believe. Definitely an XL by Canyon's reckoning.

Just be a bit careful cycling inseam measurement is different to trouser inside leg measurement. Check web for details.