Track bike sizing question

DaveyL
DaveyL Posts: 5,167
edited September 2015 in Track
Hi all,

I've got myself accredited at the Sir Chris Hoy velodrome in Glasgow, and have been riding drop-in sessions on and off for about 18 months now, on the velodrome's hire bikes.

I'm looking to get my own track bike now, but it needs to be a very big frame. I'm 194 cm tall, and after a Retul fit on my road bike, we found that I need 88 cm from the centre of the BB to the top of the saddle.

I got a good deal on an XL Planet X TOR frame, but with the maximum amount of seatpost showing, it looks like I will either be bang on 88 cm or 1 cm short (the top of the seat tube is angled so it's not clear whether the seatpost safety line should be in line with the high end or the low end...). I ride 175 mm cranks on the road, but of course I won't be able to do that on the track, so it sounds like I will be coming up short with this frame by 1-2 cm.

My LBS has had a look around and there don't seem to be many bigger XL frames out there. Does anyone here have any suggestions? I am looking for a pursuit-y frame as that is the discipline I want to get into.

Cheers

Dave
Le Blaireau (1)

Comments

• top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    Seems the obvious question...how did the hire bike feel?

Could you purchase the same type of frame but put different components and wheels on it to make it specific to you or could you use its sizing as a template for an alternative?
  • DaveyL
    On the hire bike, I can get a decent saddle height with a lot of seatpost, but the reach doesn't feel right. The hire bikes are Dolan Pre Cursas - I'm really looking for something a bit higher spec than that, and pursuit oriented. In terms of the Dolan range, that would be a DF4. The DF4's largest frame geometry still doesn't seem to be as big as the PLanet X TOR's XL frame, so if the P-X is out then the DF4 is out too.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Maybe a Koga Kimera, originally developed for Theo Bos who is pretty tall. Quite a bit more expensive than the planet x though
  • DaveyL
    Yeah, much more expensive!

I've been in touch directly with Dolan and even the 59 cm DF4 is unlikely to be big enough for me. The search goes on... :-)
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    While looking around for other stuff I noticed that the caad10 track frameset is available in a 63cm frame (http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Cannondale/CAAD10-Track-Bike-2016/4R9Z). Its not the cheapest but you are an awkward size :P (joke). It looks a decent enough frameset therefore perhaps this would fit your requirements if you could actually find a LBS who stocks it or can order one in?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Felt TK comes in a 61 if that helps..
  • I have a PX Pro Carbon track frame in the rare XL size that I'll be selling shortly, can check maximum seatpost extension if you're interested?

12011508_10206665204122341_1735716850_o.jpg?oh=ecac9799ee072000e0c473eb3f50bc22&oe=55F55A1E
  • DaveyL
    Thanks, folks. The Cannondale was one option my LBS came up with, but I'm really after an aero, pursuit frame. Re the Planet X, I already have the XL sized frame, and that's too small for me, so that's not an option.

I hadn't considered Felt - will check them out. The Ridley Arena may also fit the bill.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Davey

take a look at the Bianchi Super Pista frame I think they do 61cm's and maybe even 63cm's
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition