Reba fork service

markhusbands
markhusbands Posts: 85
edited August 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm going to give my Reba fork a full service. As pretty much the most expensive component on my bike I was wondering if it is relatively easy to do? I'm quite competent at Diy maintenance and I generally take my time when working on my bike. Can you generally really mess it up if not done step by step?

Thanks.
'I'll trek two please....!
To HT or not to HT is the question...

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Each step is very easy, just take your time and do it a step at a time.

Just a lowers/oil and seal service or a full O-ring service as well?

In my experience the O-rings last pretty much forever and are no less likely to fail at 5 years old than 5 weeks old, so I don't bother, I just do the lowers service.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I was going to do o rings service as well. So you suggest just lower service? Say the my forks are still performing great and they still smooth, I've had the bike 2yr so thought I best give them a service. So if I did lowers only would I not even touch upper leg at all? Eg cleaning etc?
  • The Rookie
    Of course you'd clean the uppers, the difference is between changing the - O-rings on and in the damper and air spring only, the rest is still fully stripped apart.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Yes so still dismantle whole fork, clean, inspect for worn o rings and fresh fluid in uppers as well as lowers. Just replace lower wiper seals etc?
  • The Rookie
    That's what I do, O-rings rarely fail, and when they do it's usually newer ones and not 'mature' ones in my experience, so if it ain't broke.....
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    There are a few different versions, but service kits are cheap on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Am-2012-Fork-Service-Kit-Basic-Reba-And-Sid-Forks-Spares-Bikes-Cycling-Parts-/400943045074?hash=item5d5a1159d2

O rings here with the seals, should anything need replacing.
  • Yea seen that kit on eBay, do you have to use that wiper seal tool to insert new seals or can they be pushed in my hand without causing any scratches to the inside of the sanction? I've seen that tool on Amazon for 15 quid, seems alot for a bit of plastic ?

Mark
  • The Rookie
    I install the wiper seals using a hammer and a blunt ended drift, just move round the circumference (apart from where the arch gets in the way) tapping it down, very easy.