sportive and race bike

Martylou
Martylou Posts: 34
edited September 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi all after for some advise been riding for a while now on various bikes, currently on a Giant defy 1(alum)
but was looking for maybe a bike in between a race and a sportive if there is such a thing maybe with a more
race feel to it, but not full on race (if you get my meaning), Was looking at the cube litening c68 pro carbon
not sure whether this is a full on race bike,,,, any suggestions would be greatly helpful thanks

Comments

• 99thmonkey
    99thmonkey Posts: 667
    I ride a Specialized Tarmac, Venge, & Roubaix and although the Roubaix is technically a Sportive I find it very very fast and racy and if I am honest less the aesthetics I prefer riding it and my times are the same regardless!
  • Does anybody on here ridie a cube c68 litening pro, anythoughts on the ride comfort etc
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,219
    What size Defy do you ride?

Which model Cube C68 Litening is it? http://www.cube.eu/uk/products/road-race/

Have a look at the Focus Cayo range http://www.focus-bikes.com/gb/en/bikes/2016/road/performance-cayo.html
  • its the Litening C68 pro ..its in my local cycle shop,, but don't know anyone who owns one , looking for a change of my giant defy alum in a size small , would like to go more racey ,, just wondered if anyone has thoughts on this cube c68 pro .good and bad points , would like to ride faster on local circuits, but same time do my sportives cheers all
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Since it's there at your local bike shop, best bet is to arrange a test ride, then you'll find out for yourself.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    I've heard lots of good things about the Scott Solace - a review here:

http://www.feedthehabit.com/road-biking/2015-scott-solace-30-review/

Seems like a lot of the 2015 models are heavily discounted now.
  • dj58
    Also can't you take your Defy to the bike shop and put it next to the Cube and do a comparison with the aid of their knowledgeable staff?

Geometry suggests the cube will be more racy.

Defy Small (46.5cm)
    Top Tube 53.0cm
    Head Tube 14.5cm
    Chain Stay 42.0cm
    Wheelbase 99.0cm
    Reach 37.3cm
    Stack 54.5cm

Cube Litening C68 (52cm)
    Top Tube 53.7cm
    Head Tube 12.0cm
    Chain Stay 40.6cm
    Wheelbase 97.5cm
    Reach 38.7cm
    Stack 52.4cm
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Also can't you take your Defy to the bike shop and put it next to the Cube and do a comparison with the aid of their knowledgeable staff?

Geometry suggests the cube will be more racy.

Defy Small (46.5cm)
    Top Tube 53.0cm
    Head Tube 14.5cm
    Chain Stay 42.0cm
    Wheelbase 99.0cm
    Reach 37.3cm
    Stack 54.5cm

Cube Litening C68 (52cm)
    Top Tube 53.7cm
    Head Tube 12.0cm
    Chain Stay 40.6cm
    Wheelbase 97.5cm
    Reach 38.7cm
    Stack 52.4cm
    That is a lot more racy - that is a lot of reach for the stack - stack/reach ratio is 1.35 that is very racy!
  • dj58
    Yes, it may be too racy for the OP, which is why I suggested the Road Comfort range, Focus Cayo which has a
    Reach 38.0cm
    Stack 53.1cm
    On the Small Frame.

OP have you tried lowering the stem on you Defy?
  • Thanks for the help.. As to the test ride they won't let the bike out because of the value !!

Good idea to take defy in to compare .. Sorry for being ignorant only been cycling properly for the past two years, but how do you work out stack ratio reach .. To be honest only sat on the cube feels nice .. I'm only 5.'7.5 tall
    Maybe it too on the racey side .. Spec on the bike was good weight was next to nothing

I have taken the bars down by a cone, but do find need the seat quite high on my defy !
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,396
    it sounds like you might benefit from a bike fit (at a shop not trying to sell you a bike) before you lay down serious money on a frame...

I'm massively biased but the Genesis Team Zero is an example of a bike that is sort of in between comfy and criterium racy. ie something that would be sold as a Grand Tour bike (which is meaningless) that a racer could ride for several hours over many days but would still handle well when you give it the beans

I ve used mine for near Audax, all day (i.e 14hr) type rides and I use it for the club 40km balls out smash on a wednesday night. It is great for both...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Have a budget of around 1800 ..yes I will go for a bike fit on next bike I choose
  • ollie51
    ollie51 Posts: 517
    Trek bikes in a H2 fit (standard fit for the Emonda) give you a nice inbetween if you want some neutral rather than a race or an endurance bike.
  • Looking like choice between emonda sl 105 ... Or cube litening .. Still a bit confused by the reach to stack ratio etc..