Bent steerer. Replaceable?

me-109
me-109 Posts: 1,915
edited August 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Bit of a front heavy landing today followed by off that ploughed the front into the ground, resulting in bent bars and steerer. Forks are Fox R100s on a Marin Rift Zone. It's aluminium, looking at it, so whilst it might bend straight it is definitely weak, with a crease at one point. Are these replaceable and can anyone suggest where to take/send them?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    You will need a full upper Assy.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Since posting the question I've found a couple of old posts here and elsewhere that suggest that. Might have to see how bad it is with new bars on.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Do you have private dental insurance for when it fails and you face plant? You'll also not get the headset right as the steerer is bent so the bearings won't run true.

New CSU assembly', or get some used ones off eBay.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Get a used, dead fork on eBay with a good CSU.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Except being Fox it's usually the uppers that go!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    It can be done I have seen a company in Australia that advertises it

http://gripsport.com.au/index.php/service/fork-steerer-replacement-extension

No idea if anyone does it the UK but a company like Argos frame repairs might know if such a firm exists
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap