Boardman Gear Changing Woes

lonespinner
lonespinner Posts: 3
edited August 2015 in Road beginners
Hi everyone,

I'm not exactly new to cycling, but I've bought a "proper" road bike recently - a Boardman Road Sport - and I'm having trouble changing down on the front chainring.

I've done about 200 miles on it now, during which time the chain has slipped right off a few times - between the smaller front chainring and the frame - when attempting to change down from the larger chainring at the front. I've had no trouble at all with the rear gears, or indeed changing up at the front. Furthermore, the downchange at the front seems to require more pressure with a pronounced CLACK from the shifter when you've pushed hard enough to get it to give way than any of the other changes, all of which take place with minimal pressure and a sweet click.

On Friday I took it to an independent bike shop with a proper bike mechanic to be adjusted and set up, hoping this would make the problem go away. Indeed the guy there did tell me that the chain wouldn't slip off once the gears were adjusted properly. Yet I got the bike back yesterday, and the problem is still there - the chain slipped off again yesterday evening. He also told me that with relatively inexpensive gears (it has a Shimano Claris groupset), an "agricultural", ie stiff and clunky gear change was to be expected - and indeed changing down at the front still requires the same amount of pressure as before.

I'm not an inexperienced cyclist. I have done about 1400 trouble-free road miles this year on a different bike without a hint of bother from the gears (albeit it's a quite different bike, a hybrid). I had hoped that upgrading to a bike costing about twice as much would bring silky gear changes, so I'm disappointed.

One strategy that seems to work for avoiding the chain slipping off is never to change down at the front while in a low gear at the back, so that the chain isn't too close to the frame and hence less susceptible to coming off over the smaller front chainring. Is this what you're supposed to do?

Grateful for any advice.

Comments

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    If you bought it from a shop, take it back there for adjustment. Do not accept that your chain will fall off when you change gear because you haven't got the latest Gucci kit. The guy you spoke to showed you a complete lack of respect and doesn't deserve any of your future custom.
  • stevie63
    stevie63 Posts: 481
    This is why I would recommend learning how to adjust the gears your self. Plenty of videos on youtube will show you how to do it and once you learn you will not have to rely on bike shops for what is a fairly easy operation. The loud noise when changing down is fairly normal on many road bike groupsets so I wouldn't be worried about that.
  • paul2718
    paul2718 Posts: 471
    If the chain comes off every time, then it's a matter of adjustment, or something is bent. If it comes off occasionally then that might a matter of chance and fitting a chain catcher is a good idea.

Either take it back to the place that last adjusted it, or if you feel mechanical read the Dealer Manual, http://si.shimano.com/php/download.php?file=pdf/dm/DM-GN0001-13-ENG.pdf and proceed at your own risk.

Claris will obviously be more agricultural than the (much) more expensive alternatives, but when installed and setup properly it will be perfectly adequate.

Paul
  • take it back to the halfords store you bought it from and ask them to remedy the situation. it could just be a matter of changing the front derailleur low limit, but it could be something else. But it should not be doing that every time.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I think also your technique might need help - as you say - if you are in the bigger sprockets at the back and then change to the small ring - you're effectively jumping quite a few ratios.
  • Appreciate the replies - thanks everyone. It wasn't doing it every time just to be clear but it did come off occasionally.

With the help of a couple of YouTube videos, I think I've managed to set it up quite nicely myself. I haven't actually tried it other than from operating the gears and spinning the pedals with my hand but I'm sure there's nothing actually wrong with the bike, and I'll get it spot on for sure. I'm quite sure the chain won't come off now - the limiter was way out.

I am disappointed that the bike mechanic evidently paid no attention to the gears despite being paid for a service, and even though I had told him that about the problem. Seriously tempted to name and shame his shop quite honestly and won't use that place again.

It also says doesn't say a lot for Halfords that they let the bike leave their shop without being set up properly in my opinion.
  • As others have said, you've just fallen foul of a poor retailer and mechanic. There is nothing wrong with Claris gearing, I have it on my other half's bike and it is fine if set up properly.
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    It also says doesn't say a lot for Halfords that they let the bike leave their shop without being set up properly in my opinion.

If you look, you'll find lots of people having issues with Halfords not setting their bikes up properly. It's a fairly common problem.