Hope Hub reassembly

disgruntledgoat
disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
edited August 2015 in Workshop
Hi all, after my struggles to service my Hope RS Mono rear hub, I finally overcame the fact my freehub was stuck by knocking the axle through the hib body, past the knackered bearing that was causing the problems.

Now I replaced the bearing, tool the pawls and springs out and greased them and went to replace everything. Problem now is I cant get the bearing that sits behind the free hub body to go back into place. The pawls engage, everything is great except the 5mm gap between freehub body and hub body. Any advice? I'm loath to hit the centre of the axle with a mallet with the pawls and springs sat there...
"In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Video here for the Hope Pro2 hub servicing. Not sure if the RS has the same design but could be a useful pointer in any case

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbOEc0Jrz9A
  • Video here for the Hope Pro2 hub servicing. Not sure if the RS has the same design but could be a useful pointer in any case

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbOEc0Jrz9A

THanks, I seem to be encountering a whole host of problems not featured in their literature. I have it all reassembled now but I seem to have contstructed a fixie! I think maybe i need to bend the springs down a little
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • UPDATE

So I got everything assembled, followed the Hope guide to the letter (brute force and ignorance to remove knackered parts nonewithstanding). Now it seems I cannot, no matter what I do get the freewheel on the hub to work. I've completely dismantled it, greased the pawls, GT85 on the pawls, everything I can think of and it just doesn't want to work!

Worst of all, the internets seem completely silent on the matter. Any suggestions?

@gietvangent
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Maybe try giving Hope a ring? Their customer service is usually first class.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}