VooDoo Bizango vs Vitus Nucleus 275VR (£500 range)

Ast
Ast Posts: 48
edited August 2015 in MTB buying advice
Thanks to your advice in my other thread I have decided to up my budget to £500, and these two bikes stand out (the Voodoo is £5 more expensive at £485)

Does anyone have any thoughts on which is better? I think the most obvious difference is the Voodoo is a 29er and the Vitus is 27 (personally I am leaning towards 29ers as I have heard they are a bit more comfortable in hardtails due to lack of rear suspension?)

Reviews
VooDoo Bizango won best £600 bike in last years MBR awards (link)
The Vitus got 4 out of 5 starts here on Bikeradar (link)

Specs
VooDoo (link)
Vitus (link)

Any other bikes in this price range worth considering?

(Forgot to say, barefoot I am 5ft 10" and inside leg is 30")

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I would have the Voodoo. Better fork and a very good bike.
  • Ast
    Thanks - do you know which size I would need? Here are my measurements:

wqv904.png

Canyon reckons 'small' so would that mean the 18" VooDoo? Unfortunately they don't have any in any of the stores anywhere near me :(

Are there any other bikes I should be looking at in this budget?
  • I have the 2015 Bizango 18" frame. I'm 5"9 and have minimal clearance on the top tube when standing I think due to the 29" wheels, it does however feel fine when I'm on the bike in terms of reach for the handlebars. Deffinately worth trying a few frames for yourself.
    "Great minds think a bike"
  • Ast
    I have the 2015 Bizango 18" frame. I'm 5"9 and have minimal clearance on the top tube when standing I think due to the 29" wheels, it does however feel fine when I'm on the bike in terms of reach for the handlebars. Deffinately worth trying a few frames for yourself.

Do you measure barefoot? If so I am just under 5"10.

Unfortunately the 18" Bizango is not stocked in any of the Halfords this part of Wales - closest is 80 miles away :(

Do you think the 20" would be too big?

What do you think of the Bizango? (Anything better in the same price range?)
  • Yes I think the 20" would be too big, although it depends how your proportioned. I wouldn't want mine any bigger as it feels big already being my first 29er. I can't give any detailed feedback as of yet because I only purchased the bike last week and have only ridden it trtough woodland until I take it to a trail centre. It absolutely flies downhill though!
  • Mister_g
    Mister_g Posts: 55
    The 18" might be too big. I'm 5'6", but with a similar inseam measurement to you, and the 18" was way to big for me (it seemed very big for an 18" frame).

I spoke to my local Halfords a year or so ago, and while they could (reluctantly) order one in to try, they suggested the best way was for me to order one on 'click and collect' as it would be quicker, and there would be no obligation to buy it if it wasn't suitable (I think it shows on their stock if they order it, bit not if you order it over the web, or something similar).

I went this route, and there was no problem at all when I went to try it and decided not to buy. Have a chat with your local branch.
  • Ast
    Thanks both.

I tried click and collect but it says out of stock, however, I have just noticed that I was trying to order the 2013/14 model and that there is a newer (more expensive) 2015 model http://halfordsblog.com/2015/06/30/new-voodoo-bizango

Is the newer one better? (It was the older model that seemed to have got rave reviews).

Not sure what to do now. Think I will go into Tredz tomorrow to get measure up and see what they recommend.

I have also seen the (older 2014 model) on Gumtree that was used 'once or twice' and looks in good nick - but he wants £400 when Halfords with their current offers are doing them for around £460.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Sizing can vary a lot between models, even within the same brand. You need to check the sizing of the bike you're interested in buying.
    I'm 6'1" and have had medium, large and extra large and they were all similar size.
  • The 2015 model is over a kg lighter than the 2014 due to slightly lighter and better components. Also a change in top tube design.
  • Ast
    Hi all - I found an 18" on gumtree, what do you think of it and how much do you think I should offer?

https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/29er-mountain-bike-voodoo-bizango-medium-barely-used-original-receipt/1129722020?utm_source=systemedm&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=adreply

(I was thinking £300?)
  • I picked up my mint 2015 bizango for £400 so you could wait to see if there is a bargain to be had on the newer model. There's one on eBay now for £450
  • I picked up my mint 2015 bizango for £400 so you could wait to see if there is a bargain to be had on the newer model. There's one on eBay now for £450

The lime green model, just released this summer?

How did you manage to get a brand new just released £600 bike for £400? I've never known Halfrauds to knock 33% off a brand new bike before.
  • Ast
    I've just been to Halfords and the manager said he'll do me a deal on a new one for £520 (usually £599) however they didn't have an 18" there but said he'd order one, as well as a 16" for me to try. I did try an 18" on the Aizen tho and not 100% convinced I'd want 29ers - but maybe it's just because I wasn't use to it.

Re the second hand bike he's accepted my offer of £300 so I am completely torn now - any help in deciding would be greatly appreciated :)

The lime green model, just released this summer?

How did you manage to get a brand new just released £600 bike for £400? I've never known Halfrauds to knock 33% off a brand new bike before.

Yes the 2015 yellow one. Ebay job. Too big for the previous owner. There's another on there now for £450
  • Ast
    Wonder why he's got tape on the forks - suspicious?

Photo:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B14sGjQzXqRVaVlpSUVTXzZhRjA/view?usp=drive_web
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Isn't that just part of the logo?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Looks normal to me, it's the design.
  • codfather
    codfather Posts: 359
    That "tape" is the I and the D of the Raidon logo on opposing legs. Buy the second hand one if you haven't already. They are superb bikes, I've just sold mine, but do not go for a 20" and try before you buy, the 18" may still be a touch large. Also 29" wheels have no effect on the standover height
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double
    2012 Transition Trail or Park

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike