Headset bearings

davidof
davidof Posts: 3,042
edited August 2015 in Workshop
Headset bearings, at least mine, don't seem to survive the ravages of sweat and rain for long. I only changed mine at the start of the season and riding back in the rain I noticed a little streak of brown leaking out (hmmm doesn't sound nice) from the upper bearing race. Inspection revealed this horror

headset1.jpg

Now these are Neco headset bearings for a Chinese FM028 frame, I think the FM029 is the same. Last time I simply ordered a complete new headset from China but the delivery time is 3 weeks or thereabouts. So I looked around for an alternative. In the UK I found Rulla Bearings, has anyone used them? After carefully measuring my bearings I found that

MHP08H7 was the top bearing
and
MHP16H8 was the bottom bearing

I placed an order from the website and the bearings arrived 3 days later, Yorkshire to South East France.

headset2.jpg

Fit was perfect. Rulla say the bearings are the same that Neco uses so I'm not expecting any more reliability from these but at least it is a UK source.

All these frames take slightly different bearings. According to this site: https://chinesecarbonbikebuild.wordpress.com/category/rulla-bearings/

Late 2013 model R-041 FM099 takes the following slightly thinner bearings although I bet the 6.5mm would work in the FM028 frame too.
*** Upper bearing *** – MH-P08 (ID 30.15 x OD41.8 x W6.5)
*** Lower bearing *** – MH-P16 (ID 40 x OD 52 x 7 x 45/45)

Rulla do other bearings too. Just thought I'd point this out for anyone who needs sealed bearings in a rush.
BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
Instagramme