Felt F Series Headset

wotnoshoeseh
wotnoshoeseh Posts: 531
edited August 2015 in Workshop
Guys,

I'm getting noises from the headset - taken it out, regreased it but the noise is still there. The sealed cartridge bearing on the lower race seems a bit notchy so I'm going to change it out. I'd say there's probably about 10k miles on it.

The headset, according to the Felt website is a FSA, as per the below.
FSA Orbit C-40-ACB 1.125"" --> 1.5"" integrated, w/ aluminum 15mm conical spacer, 1 X 10mm aluminum headset Spacer, 3 x 5mm aluminum headset spacer, Felt aluminum top cap & 7075 anodized aluminum bolt.

Can I simply source just the bottom cartridge bearing?
Is it recommended to change both top and bottom cartridge together, or is it ok to just replace the bottom?
If so, does anyone know where I can source it from?

Cheers,
D

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    You should be fine just replacing the bearings if the other components are still serviceable. If the upper bearing is fine, just do the lower one.

Whip out the old ones and you should be able to read the bearing numbers on the outside. Pop them into Google and find a hatful of suppliers. Simplybearings.co.uk have been mentioned on here before.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    You can also just peel back the thin rubber seal of your bearings by using a thin bladed tool of some sort and flush out and regrease the bearings if they are still good. If the bottom one is bad you might as well grease the top one while you've got it all apart.
  • You should be fine just replacing the bearings if the other components are still serviceable. If the upper bearing is fine, just do the lower one.

Whip out the old ones and you should be able to read the bearing numbers on the outside. Pop them into Google and find a hatful of suppliers. Simplybearings.co.uk have been mentioned on here before.

Cheers - I had them out, cleaned them and re-installed but didn't think to look for part numbers.....
    Ah well - not the end of the world to pull them out again.

Chain Reaction seem to have lots of different replacements so should be able to get them handy enough.

Cheers,
    D
  • Whipped out the bearings tonight - no numbers on the outsides of them.