Roadie switching to MTB

ilav84
ilav84 Posts: 124
edited August 2015 in MTB general
Been thinking about getting a MTB for the winter. A lot of the club members would switch from road to MTB over the winter and race, ride the local forest parks or trails. I'm not sure if I would like it or not but I'm going to give it a go anyway. I will still be getting out for some road cycling and turbo work but it's going to be a long winter and the MTB should help break that up a bit! I wouldnt mind even giving the racing a bit of a go.

Advice on a new bike! Going by what my club mates have said, I am looking a hard tail 29er, I'm 6ft so probably around 19inch (depending on geometry).

Spend decent amount or go cheap and see if I stick at it?
My previous experience of buying cheap is that you usually buy twice! Budget currently in around £1000. I would probably try and do some sort of finance deal on it as well so any recommendation of sites or shops that do this are more than welcome.
Has anyone made the same switch?
Does it help keep in shape for the road or help your road cycling at all?
What are the best brands to go for?
Should be some decent deals coming out soon with the 2016 stock coming in.

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    The cheapest good mountain bike is the voodoo bizango, check the reviews. If you are looking at racing an entry level race bike would be something similar to the specialized crave which is lighter and has a better frame, forks and wheels.

The current sales have some good deals but if you are confident there are some real bargains second hand that are a year or two old, barely ridden and about half retail price.

The controlled power and endurance of road biking is very useful for xc mountain biking. The difference is you will need to learn bike handling skills, gain the strength to move the bike where you want and also learn to read the trails to pick the best line. All good fun and it will help your road biking. I do both and it is nice to have a change.
  • ilav84
    ilav84 Posts: 124
    Is a 29er better to go for if I want an all rounder, i.e. for riding trails, forest parks, racing etc
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The bike's geometry decides what it is best for, not the wheel size, that said the Bizango is a very good alrounder capable of anything from road commuting (not too far) to trail centre usage.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Most roadies having a go at mountain biking seem to end up on a 29er Trek at least one size too small. Don't size your mountain bike like a road bike or you will be in for a miserable time.
    I don't really understand getting a mountain bike for the winter, it will probably cost more to maintain than a road bike, get more trashed and won't be easy learning to ride at a time of year when there is limited grip. Riding sideways probably won't come naturally to a roadie and the principle of more speed and less brakes being safer will be even more tricky.
    Enjoy :-)