I need a new rear tyre......

paul.skibum
paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
edited August 2015 in MTB buying advice
.....for my Bronson.

Must be tubeless ready, 2.3-2.4 width, provide good/predictable grip on widest possible variety of surfaces but definitely on rock rolls (Whistler rock is not overly slippery), loose dry and loam.

I currently have a WTB Vigilante on the front which provides great front end grip which is paired with a Trail Boss at the rear. The Boss has been ok but not long lasting, tricky to get to seal and so so grip on everything.

I previously had an Highroller 2 which probably edged the Boss at everything including longevity and was definitely the better on rock rolls and wetter conditions.

I am considering replacements - Maxxis is easily sourced here, some Schwalbe, some WTB, smattering of Panaracer. Not averse to mail order but my last few CRC orders have been hit by customs charges which defeats the object. My head is currently flipping between another HR2 and a Minion DHR2 or a DHF.

Autumn (or Fall as I am now required to call it) is approaching so better in the wet might be nice...
Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.

Comments

• I'm a fan of the DHR2 myself and ride loose over hard and pine based woodland with lots of roots and technically climbing and find they hook up really well on pretty much anything. They can slide a bit in real thick mud but what tyre doesn't and at least it's predictable when it does go. The only drawback is it isn't the fastest rolling tyre out there but again once the slop hits I'd rather have the grip.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Super tacky highroller. Nothing is better on rock or loam.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I'd go all in for Schwalbe personally. I'm absolutely loving my Magic Mary/rock razor combo, it's everything I look for in a tyre setup, loads of grip up front, very predictable when leaned over and also very fast rolling overall. You do have adjust your braking points a little with the Razor, but aside from that it's ruddy good. I'd also look at a high roller or Minion front and a 2.4 ardent on the back, seems to be another popular combo ATM
  • Hob Nob
    Hob Nob Posts: 200
    Schwalbe seem to require a remortgage out here in order to buy one, and also have a lifespan measured in minutes.

I'd probably run a Minion DHR2 or DHF, they have a great balance of life, rolling speed & grip.

Slightly different, if you can find any left, a Butcher Grid would be a decent alternative & should only be 70 bucks.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Everywhere has the HR2 in stock so might be the easiest option I think
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Hob Nob
    Hob Nob Posts: 200
    Seems most places are thin on the ground for 650b stuff at the moment.

The shop down by the Olympic Rings had a reasonable amount of choice last time I went in there too.