Bar end shifter for a junior CX, good or bad idea?

mattrixdesign2
mattrixdesign2 Posts: 644
edited August 2015 in Cyclocross
Building up a Cx for my 8yo.

I don't have shifters to hand, but it's got me thinking, would an 8sp barend shifter and drop brake levers work for him?

My reasoning, it's a cheaper option, it's a lighter option and due to his relatively short reach (small for his age) it may well make shifting easier albeit taking a right hand of the drops or flats to shift.

Worst case I can switch to brifters and use the kit on a retro build.

Thoughts?

Comments

• It'll probably be fine- I've seen one person do quite well on an old steel Raleigh with CX tyres installed and everything else almost as it was in the 80's, including down tube shifters.

In my experience I don't tend to change gears all that much- usually somewhere in the lowest 3 gears!!
  • LeePaton
    LeePaton Posts: 353
    He is 8... Just let him get muddy and enjoy himself.

Who gives a monkeys if it's slower he is 8.
    It's not so much about winning, I just hate losing.
  • Speed is not the issue, was more concerned perhaps with safety I.e. Not gripping the bars firm when changing and possibly banging his knee

But I have realised I may have the solution right in front of me, can someone confirm this will work?

10speed 105 shifters (modern drop bar)
    10speesd mtb casette
    9speed RD

Internet searches seems positive, it would give him a nice varied 1x10 setup?
  • devhads
    devhads Posts: 236
    I'd think the reach might be a bit far on 105 shifters unless you have the shims to pull the reach in. The lever throw when down shifting is also quite long for small hands.

Microshift short reach 9 speed shifters would be your best bet. Really short reach and two easy to reach paddle for shifting, not the brake lever like Shimano. My 10 year old has them and they work fine. His hands are a bit bigger now and I'm upgrading him to 10 speed so may have a right hand shifter for sale soon, they are quite hard to get in the UK

I do agree with LeePaton to some extent, it should be about fun but if they need to change gear then they need to be able to do it with equipment that is suitable for them. Most races he only goes round in one or two gears anyway.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Quite a few kids around that age have trouble with brifters, even when shimmed, just because their hands are too small. My 9yo still has to do downshifts by taking her right hand off the bars, reaching over the top of the bars and grabbing the shifter to pull it inwards. From that perspective, bar end shifters might actually be better than brifters.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • thanks guys. Lots of valid comments to think about.