Middle sprocket - rear cassette

jamie4759
jamie4759 Posts: 117
edited August 2015 in Workshop
For some time now, I have had minor issues with the middle sprocket on my rear cassette on my Condor Leggero. I find that when I am in the little ring at the front, and the middle ring at the back, there is a ticking noise, although the gear change into the middle sprocket, whether from up or down, is really slick. I have had the same trouble with Campag Athena and Chorus (same cassettes, 12-27) and Ultegra (12-25). It ticks to the point where I avoid the gear. It does not do this in the big ring at the front. The irony is, that the combination is when the chain is possibly at its straightest. It did it with the Eurus wheels, and once I changed to Shimano I bought Ksyrium SLS and some handbuilt training wheels on Ultegra hubs, and does it on them both. I have also had the rear mech hanger changed. I can get rid of the problem for a short time through the rear mech barrel adjuster but that distorts the gear changes elsewhere, and in any case, the problem usually comes back within a week or so. I know it sounds really weird, but could there be some misalignment somewhere with the frame, or issues with internal cables? I can't think of anything else. Or, is this one of the delights of 11 speed, which is tonnes more finicky than the 10 speed I have on a winter bike (which never misses a beat)? All advice welcome. The bike has been serviced by mechanics all over the place and still the problem persists. Sorry to moan!!!!

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Look at the chain, I have a click in the 3rd biggest cog on the back when in the small front on my bike with a SRAM 10 speed set up and I traced it to a single link on the chain. Other than this the changing is smooth and the link is silent on every other gear option, the chain was about a month old when it started.