Garmin???

miket-62
miket-62 Posts: 227
edited September 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi
I'm getting back into mountain biking after quite a lay-off and wanting to do some different routes from my normal.
I don't want to do "bomb-holes" etc any more, just regular fire-tracks and the like.
A friend has suggested a Garmin.
Now I don't want to way point the routes I do!
I want to be able to download "off road" tracks/routes
Say turn up at a location (The Lakes) download a route find the start point and let the Garmin guide me around the route.
Or do c2c off road simply by following the Garmin.
Do they do this?
Off road fire tracks kinda thing?
Thanks in advance
Also if they do, which model do I need?
Ta
Mike

Comments

• kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    Garmin eTrex series - cheap as chips (got mine from eBay for £30) and easy to use, pretty much bomb-proof.
  • miket-62
    Lovely,
    Thanks for the reply I'll check 'em out :-)
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Also try the memory map series.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Garmin eTrex series - cheap as chips (got mine from eBay for £30) and easy to use, pretty much bomb-proof.

It wont do any of what he wants though, i.e. download routes when you get to the start point.

You wont find any of them do that, what happens if there are no shared routes for that location you intend to start at.

You have to find out the routes first using the power of google, download pre made GPX's or make them yourself otherwise you wont get what you want to happen, happen.
  • miket-62
    Hi Briggo
    Thanks for the reply

I'm a total newby at this GPS stuff...
    So... I take it that there are downloadable pre made GPX's??? That I can upload to my Garmin??? That will guide me on routes that are "of road"?

That would work?!?! Surely???
    Then I'd drive to the first/start point and follow the Garmin from there, Is that right????

Where do I get these GPX data files?

Sorry to be a complete dolt! But I'm new to this GPS wizardry!!! :-)
    Thanks again
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776

It wont do any of what he wants though, i.e. download routes when you get to the start point.

You wont find any of them do that, what happens if there are no shared routes for that location you intend to start at.

You have to find out the routes first using the power of google, download pre made GPX's or make them yourself otherwise you wont get what you want to happen, happen.

It will do.

It will not download routes when you get to the start etc., but as you say you will not find any GPS which does it ....

However, it will perfectly do all the rest he is asking for once the route has been downloaded.

C.