hoping I've not made a mistake with defy sizing.

Kerrmit1992
Kerrmit1992 Posts: 275
edited August 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi guys,

I've just sold my mountain bike and ordered a Defy 0 size medium. I went with the sizing guide on the giant website and the opinion of the gentleman on the phone at tredz. However, when I went into my LBS he said that I should have went medium/large as the medium looks too small next to me. I sat on both and could really feel much difference but I've not had a chance to ride one. And even then road bikes feel weird at the moment so I wouldn't know what to look for.

Looking at the geometry the only difference between the two is 15mm at the top tube and 20mm at the head tube. How significant a difference will this make? I'm 5ft 11 with a 30.5" inside leg.

Giant say you can ride the medium up to 6ft. I notice some people my size go M and some M/L so I'm really hoping it won't be too much or an issue.

Anyone with experience of this that could comment?

Cheers
Craig
Mountain biking is the bicycle version or rallying, except you don't need a Co-Driver!

Comments

• craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    Im 6ft and slightly longer legs and have the defy inM/L and it is fine. But my other bike feels a bit smaller and I'm much more comfortable on it, but that could be down to other things.

I feel slightly stretched out on the Giant, shorter stem would probably help. I think you'll be okay with it. Can't you pop to a LBS and try out both sizes?
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    I'm 6ft and would personally have gone for a M in the defy, however as Craigus89 says above you can achieve a very similar position on a M as you would have on an M/L by adding spacers under the stem if you need to and shortening the stem length.

Personally I think its better to go this way than buy a frame that would be too big for you as sizing that down is much harder if possible at all.
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies.

I sat on both in the LBS and couldn't tell the difference. Never got to ride it though.
    Mountain biking is the bicycle version or rallying, except you don't need a Co-Driver!
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    It will be fine, you have short legs for your height so the seatpost height adjustment won't be a problem. Depending on your torso length and reach, you may or may not find the 100mm stem fitted to the medium Defy to short, you can easily and cheaply fit a longer stem if required.

When you get the bike your will most likely have to attach the handle bars to the stem, put all the supplied spacers under the stem and put the stem in the negative (down) position to start with and go for a ride to see how you feel. If you feel too low on the bars you can flip the stem into the positive (up) position, though this will reduce the reach, so If you feel cramped in either position, try a longer stem.

Difference in geometry between M and M/L

Medium
    VTT 54.5cm
    HT 16.5cm
    Stem 10.0cm
    Stack 56.6cm
    Reach 37.7

Medium/Large
    VTT 56.0cm
    HT 18.5cm
    Stem 10.0cm
    Stack 58.5cm
    Reach 38.1cm
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    You should be ok with the medium, after being used to a mountain bike it might be the best choice.
  • Hi guys,

So I've had a ride around the street and it is comfortable enough. Not sure If my position is correct. I've had to move the seat right back and I'm going to turn the stem around to the negative position tomorrow. Even if I need to upgrade to a 120mm stem it should be fine. My knees are hitting elbows in the drop position though. Is that just technique? I feel like the bars may need to be a bit wider as I've got massive legs ( ex rugby player you see ) lol.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    Fit a longer stem first before you consider changing the bar width, could be your technique, moving the bars from side to side without realising it, coming from an MTB, it will take you a few rides to adjust to the narrow 42cm bar width, however a longer stem may well cure the problem.
  • Well I don't see it being the bike being two small as the reach on the M/L is only like 5mm lol.

It will take me a while to get used to everything as you said. As long as I'm not in pain when I cycle I'm happy lol