Top end groupsets

term1te
term1te Posts: 1,462
edited August 2015 in Road buying advice
Here's a question I never thought I'd ask.

Campagnolo Super Record (2013) with Fulcrum racing zero nite wheels (one of PX's latest bundle offers), or DA9000 with Mavic Ksyrium SLR wheels?

To upgrade some very tired Ultegra 6600 on a titanium frame. Both options are about the same price.

Apart from aesthetics, brand loyalty, etc., is there a rational reason to choose one over the other?

Comments

• bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    The tools you have, and might have to replace?
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    Both great, very different shifting between the 2 groups, both shift great but the action is different.

Have ridden both Shimano (do now) and Campag and think both are great, Campag has more of a positive shift IMO, but I prefer the shape of the hoods on Shimano.

Not much help I know, so as Bondurant said, consider the tools you already have and buy the one you like the feel of the most.

Just don't buy Sram (that's just a personal opinion :-))
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • JoostG
    JoostG Posts: 189
    Ratio? That you should think off Ultra or Chorus instead of the ones you picked :D

Both groups are great and in my opinion it comes down to aesthetics, branding and loyalty. And that case I vote for Campagnolo.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Wheels first - I have a pair of fulcrum zeros and really like them - they are stiff, very stiff and lively. However, I'm not yet convinced with the new generation of rims having black coatings - this comment applies to both fulcrum and mavic. I've seen too many complaints about the black being worn off and presumably you end up with different braking characteristics with/ without the coating around the rim diameter. Plus they will look awful should the coatings fail. Just me perhaps but I definitely wouldn't go for wheels with hollow carbon spokes (the non drive side rear wheels are thus equipped).

Groupsets - I suspect that the dura ace will provide longer more reliable service (that's been my experience) however, I much prefer the logic of the change levers Campy use - thumb downshifts feel so much more intuitive to me. Hence heart would rule my head and I'd go Campy. As said above, both are tip top great groupsets. You need to check out the different ergos and see if you have a strong preference one way or t'other.

Peter
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I have SR on best bike, Athena on winter and DA 9000 on TT bike.

I love campag (although I dislike the new chainsets) but things like cassette costs are mad.

Furthermore, the DA chainset is great in that you can use it as a TT set up or compact and just get the different chainrings as necessary.

I'm currently running it as a 55/42 on my TT bike (although using a Quarq PM crank) but I'm going to put 52/36 on it and put it on my best bike for the upcoming wild wales challenge (horrible Campag/DA mix going on!)

The cassettes are MILES cheaper too.

In conclusion, shimano DA is very flexible. Which is good.

Still love the look and function of last gen and earlier Campag though.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    Thanks for the comments. I have 2015 Veloce on my re-built 80s Moser, and an beginning to prefer the ergonomics of the shifters over the Ultegra 6600. Would the SR hoods be the same shape? And, is the shape of the DA9000 hoods much different to that of the old 6600?
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    New Shimano hoods (5800/6800/9000) are miles better than the older generations. The front shifting is second to none, and the feel of 6800/9000 is so good I'm replacing my Di2 with it.

If you like Campag then that's your thing, but I don't like the idea of getting an outdated groupset.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Some one had to say it
    I'd take the Shimano with the Fulcrum wheels.
    I have Fulcrum wheels, 2014 Chorus and used to have those Mavic wheels with spokes designed like cart wheels.