Got new bike: Please help with accessories!

Zadok
Zadok Posts: 17
edited September 2015 in Road beginners
First off, thanks everyone in here who helped me in deciding on a bike. Since I am just getting back into biking after 15 years, I got a great deal on a left-over Allez Sport. Now need some stuff and since the bikey shop wants to sell me everything, I'm posting in here!

I got some clothing to start my adventure, but am not gtg with everything else yet... Here's what I'm thinking. Please let me know.

1) Flat tire repair kit. What do I need? Tube recommendations? Here's what I've check out, but this is it:
http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1080110_-1_400166__400166

2) Wedge back for under saddle?
http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1139393_-1___000000

3) Water bottle holder:
http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1158618_-1_400163__400163
Or I use the water gear I use for running...?

4) Cycling computer - basic, miles, total time, trip time. GPS not needed yet.

>> I'll do another post for this: Next major purchase: Shoes / pedals. Bike came with old-school peds.

Comments

• Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    Although I always carry a minipump with me, I find them a pale comparison to full length frame-fit pumps. It takes too much energy to get the tyres up to a useable pressure. I'd use the pump get some pressure into the tubes and then top-up with a CO2 canister.

Emergency tool pack contents for me include: multitool with many allen keys, tyre levers, innertube, CO2 inflator with spare canister, chain rivet extractor, chain quick link, puncture repair kit. You'll need a big enough saddle pack to contain this lot.

Get the bike bottle, so that you can carry the weight of water on the bike, rather than on you.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • Zadok
    Okay, sounds great, thanks!
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,381
    As far as a multitool goes, you may want to just check how many hex bolt sizes you have on your bike. I have two (that would reasonably need attention on the road) and consequently carry two "proper" hex keys in my tool pack. Better to use and a fraction of the price of a multitool. FWIW I also carry an chain tool, spare quicklink, spare inner tube, a couple of self adhesive patches (will get you home but no good for permanent fix), CO2 pump, tyre levers, a couple of those lemon wet wipe things you get in KFC (for getting oil off your hands).

All of the above goes into a Lezyne Caddy Sack

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-caddy-sack-medium/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=5360535790&ci_src=18615224&ci_sku=5360535790uk&utm_source=google&utm_term&utm_campaign&utm_medium=base&utm_content=sz6iOahTt_dc%7cpcrid%7c67090793102%7cpkw%7c%7cpmt%7c%7cprd%7c5360535790uk

The caddy sack fits into my jersey pocket and means that I don't have to ferret around for all the bits or check a list when going on a ride.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Zadok
    Very cool. Getting a flat is a concern. I got the bike the other day, and went for a 16 mile hilly maiden voyage the next day. Bumpy roads, too fast downhills, outran a dog, but felt great--aside from worrying about getting a flat!
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    Forgot to add latex gloves. Great for keeping hands clean whilst facing mechanical.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • Vslowpace
    Vslowpace Posts: 189
    Tubes - Whatever the LBS have
    Co2 canisters
    Tyre levers
    I wouldn't bother with a saddle bag
    Any old bottle cage, preferably two
    Garmin 500
    Rightly or wrongly that's all I carry
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,381
    Forgot to add latex gloves. Great for keeping hands clean whilst facing mechanical.

. . . and that!

As far as a "computer" goes, if you have an iPhone, download Strava (free) . . . it will give you all of the info you need to begin with and it's free (if you have an iPhone or similar)
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Lots of good advice on here, welcome back to the wallet-bothering world of cycling!

FWIW, I'd carry:
    - Repair kit, tyre levers, spare tube, pump, C02 (not essential but handy), multi-tool - all in a saddle pack (opinion varies on saddle packs but I like them - mine lives on the bike so I can't forget all the essentials!)
    - 2 cheap bottles and cages, you sometimes see deals with energy products thrown in with a bottle (high 5, SIS, etc)
    - small, cheap "get you home" lights - Knog do some good ones, weigh nothing but keep you legal
    - Cheap computer with Strava on my phone (kept in waterproof wallet in jersey pocket)

Oh, and I never ride without mitts on, having had the road vs palms experience :evil:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • My two cents

- Minipump: Lezyne Pressure Drive Small
    - Levers and patch kit: Park tools
    - Saddle bag: Small saddle bag from Topeak
    - Tubes: whatever you find in your LBS
    - Multitool: Topeak mini 18+ (although I'm thinking about replacing it)
    - Cage: Elite cannibal x2 and the cheapest bottles you find in your LBS
    - Ziplock bag for phone and money

The levers, patch kit, tube and multitool go in the saddle bag. The rest goes in the jersey's pockets.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    My two cents

- Minipump: Lezyne Pressure Drive Small
    - Levers and patch kit: Park tools
    - Saddle bag: Small saddle bag from Topeak
    - Tubes: whatever you find in your LBS
    - Multitool: Topeak mini 18+ (although I'm thinking about replacing it)
    - Cage: Elite cannibal x2 and the cheapest bottles you find in your LBS
    - Ziplock bag for phone and money

The levers, patch kit, tube and multitool go in the saddle bag. The rest goes in the jersey's pockets.

Definitely carry money, I also carry my drivers licence so if I do go splat they have some form of ID.

My saddle pack is a little large by most people standard but it means I can hoof in all the crap I feel I need. Word of advice, food in the jersey pockets unless itll melt. If you bail with tools in the back of your jersey it can really hurt! Pumps especially. Try to find one that has a frame mount lots of brands do these now.
  • mikpem
    mikpem Posts: 139
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who carries ID for splat reasons.
    As far as saddle bags go the Topeak ones that actually clip to your saddle rails are the best option, messing with straps and having it wobble about as you ride is not great. I have a medium Topeak which is expandible but doesn't need to be as I currently have in mine: inner tube, pump (old 'geared' crankbrothers, much better than a straight tube and very small), multi tool, separate chain breaker, quicklink, 3 tyre levers, spare mech hanger, brake and gear cables and a spare gel just in case. If I expand it I can fit my PakaJak in there as well. It's a very neat, solid package which doesn't rattle, get in the way or weigh very much and means that my pockets can just be used for flapjack, Soreen and gels.

• Definitely carry money, I also carry my drivers licence so if I do go splat they have some form of ID.

My saddle pack is a little large by most people standard but it means I can hoof in all the crap I feel I need. Word of advice, food in the jersey pockets unless itll melt. If you bail with tools in the back of your jersey it can really hurt! Pumps especially. Try to find one that has a frame mount lots of brands do these now.

Yeah, ID is a must. I carry all of that in the ziplock bag.
    Regarding the pump, I prefer to carry the pump in the jersey to avoid exposing it to the elements. I once carried a pump in the frame mount and because of the vibrations (I assume) a screw cap came loose and I lost it. Granted, I wasn't the best pump in the world, but it was a decent one and I blame the vibrations of the road for this. I've been carrying the pump in the jersey ever since.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Im using a cheap one from wiggle came with the clip and a Velcro strap so far its survived about 400 miles without issue. When winter comes itll be going in a little ziplock bag still on the frame. That or ill chuck it into a tool bottle. going to sacrifice an old high5 one chuck a little microfibre cloth in to stop the rattle and see how it behaves.

Had the bag in with me I was too lazy to get my phone an card out so just took it with me instead. phone and keys obviously not in shot but it swallows the lot. Chain breakers going soon ive a specialized top cap one on the way. Now the nights are drawing in ill be lobbing a couple of diddy lights in just incase.

20150829_215016_HDR_zps5fpy2ivq.jpg
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    One thing worth noting about tyre inflators.

I had a puncture yesterday. Replaced the inner tube fine, got the tyre on the rim ok, inflated the tube no problems, Went to remove the tyre inflator from the valve.... "Pssssst". The bleeping bleeper unscrewed the inner core of the valve with it. It took me a few attempts to re-inflate the inner tube and remove the pump without the inner core ( I did this by wiping some of the oil from the chain and onto the valve). I was thinking later into the ride, if I had a CO2 canister it would have only been one shot and not fixed the problem.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123

+ several to that. Couple of rides ago my shift up to the big ring coincided with a pothole. Downhill and in the dark my chain dropped off and wrapped itself round the crank. Suddenly I was unable to turn the pedals in either direction. Squeaky bum, unclipped and coasted to a halt. Required a lot of manual persuasion to untangle it, and nearly as long to wipe the resultant oily muck off my hands using clumps of grass. And then I remembered the gloves in my seat pack :oops:
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    One thing worth noting about tyre inflators.

I had a puncture yesterday. Replaced the inner tube fine, got the tyre on the rim ok, inflated the tube no problems, Went to remove the tyre inflator from the valve.... "Pssssst". The bleeping bleeper unscrewed the inner core of the valve with it. It took me a few attempts to re-inflate the inner tube and remove the pump without the inner core ( I did this by wiping some of the oil from the chain and onto the valve). I was thinking later into the ride, if I had a CO2 canister it would have only been one shot and not fixed the problem.

Continental tube? Done that a couple of times. Once it unscrewed so far that as I disconnected the hose the valve core shot past my head to disappear into the chaos that is my garage, never to be found. On another occasion the leaking valve caused me to cut short a winter ride (snowing and couldn't face the prospect of changing the tube on the rear wheel at the side of the road, so I just pumped it up as far as possible and sprinted for home).

Now with Conti tubes I try to remember to nip up the valve core with a tiny adjustable spanner before use.
  • I've been using Fix it sticks for about a year now and I really like them as a "multi tool" Got all the basic sizes and they easily fit into your pocket.

As far as a multitool goes, you may want to just check how many hex bolt sizes you have on your bike. I have two (that would reasonably need attention on the road) and consequently carry two "proper" hex keys in my tool pack. Better to use and a fraction of the price of a multitool.