Tube-strike Noddergeddon in London again?

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
edited August 2015 in Commuting chat
Apparently some of the Unions on the tube are walking out Tues and Thurs next week; TfL are advising users to plan for the worst.

Does this mean another week of gridlock and maximum Boris-bike insanity? :evil:

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Apparently some of the Unions on the tube are walking out Tues and Thurs next week; TfL are advising users to plan for the worst.

No please not again - anything but that. I saw two accidents last tube strike (blood has only just washed off the canal path) - I reach office/home completely frazzled by a mixture of horror at the lack of any road sense and self-preservation in the strike-nodders and anger that said inept attitude has put me in serious risk
  • turbotommy
    turbotommy Posts: 493

No please not again - anything but that. I saw two accidents last tube strike (blood has only just washed off the canal path) - I reach office/home completely frazzled by a mixture of horror at the lack of any road sense and self-preservation in the strike-nodders and anger that said inept attitude has put me in serious risk

Makes a change from the usual w@nk£rs cycling along the canal too fast and pi$$ing off every other footpath user then... (Probably not a popular sentiment on a bike forum I know)
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • imatfaal

Makes a change from the usual w@nk£rs cycling along the canal too fast and pi$$ing off every other footpath user then... (Probably not a popular sentiment on a bike forum I know)

Especially not as I have held the KOM for large stretches of canal path around London - nice to be described like that by a total stranger. Is stereotyping a hobby of yours or are you a full time bigot?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    Trouble is there is no way of knowing the circumstances upon which a KOM is achieved. I'm guessing imatfaal is aware of his surroundings and doesn't act like a complete twunt. Someone with a signicantly lower average speed may be far more dangerous as they don't slow down to pass a toddler or a dog off the lead or because they are looking at their phone. I have quite high placing a on a few segments of shared path. These are invariably achieved when there are not too many people around. Riding quickly doesn't make you a thoughtless tosser. Riding without caring about others does.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Funny - bank holiday weekend coming up - lets strike. Maybe I'm just a cynic. Personally I'd replace the lot of them.

Anyway, more importantly, where's this canal. Lefty needs a ride out.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052

that was this morning wasnt it, serious WTF nodders :evil:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    Funny - bank holiday weekend coming up - lets strike. Maybe I'm just a cynic. Personally I'd replace the lot of them.

fancy a proper canal ride over two, three days?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858

Not managed to work out who imatfaal Is yet on strava.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • turbotommy
    Trouble is there is no way of knowing the circumstances upon which a KOM is achieved. I'm guessing imatfaal is aware of his surroundings and doesn't act like a complete twunt. Someone with a signicantly lower average speed may be far more dangerous as they don't slow down to pass a toddler or a dog off the lead or because they are looking at their phone. I have quite high placing a on a few segments of shared path. These are invariably achieved when there are not too many people around. Riding quickly doesn't make you a thoughtless tosser. Riding without caring about others does.

I mean seriously? Quite a lot of assumptions in that post Veronese. You seem to be suggesting that it's safer to travel at high speed rather than at a slower pace? Can you think of any examples when it may be safer to go at slower speed? Because I'm talking about people specifically going at speeds where reaction times are minimal. I obv don't have a problem with people going at a faster pace when the canal is deserted but when I'm with my 2 year old daughter in the early evening and some clown comes flying past, thinking his bell is an indication of his right of way then I'm sorry but it makes me angry.

I'm not alone in this. I suggest anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about take a walk through Camden or Islington and see the reaction from every other canal user as someone comes flying through. I actually find it embarrassing and quite short sighted.

I know how pissy this post sounds but it's something that really bothers me
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • veronese68
    I mean seriously? Quite a lot of assumptions in that post Veronese. You seem to be suggesting that it's safer to travel at high speed rather than at a slower pace?
    No you misunderstand me, I'm saying doing 20mph on a deserted path may be safer than doing 10mph when on a path with lots of kids, dogs and lord knows what else. Speed when appropriate is my point.
    My assumption is that imatfaal is aware of his surroundings. I don't know him, but I believe someone that bothers to read and post on a forum like this probably thinks about their cycling, so he is probably more aware of his surroundings and possible dangers than most.
  • I mean seriously? Quite a lot of assumptions in that post Veronese. You seem to be suggesting that it's safer to travel at high speed rather than at a slower pace?
    No you misunderstand me, I'm saying doing 20mph on a deserted path may be safer than doing 10mph when on a path with lots of kids, dogs and lord knows what else. Speed when appropriate is my point.
    My assumption is that imatfaal is aware of his surroundings. I don't know him, but I believe someone that bothers to read and post on a forum like this probably thinks about their cycling, so he is probably more aware of his surroundings and possible dangers than most.

my one and only KOM was done on a quiet even for Bushy Park, so I wasn't slowing for kids/dogs/walkers/deer/cars/bikes/toads and so on.

in other words right time and place! I quite often end up at a slow walking pace, on the weekends when it's a bit busier.

some folks when driving or riding even if they don't go that fast, they don't slow either.

get a lot of riders between Kew and Putney on the tow path who just don't slow or think.
  • turbotommy
    I mean seriously? Quite a lot of assumptions in that post Veronese. You seem to be suggesting that it's safer to travel at high speed rather than at a slower pace?

Ah that makes more sense, and again, sorry if I came off a bit pissy :shock:. I can see it as another example of a wedge being driven between cyclists and others and that's a bit of a shame, especially if it results in tighter rules being enforced. I wasn't actually saying imatfaal is a culprit of this, just responding to his post to make a wider point.

Sorry if you took it that way imatfaal. I'm sure like the rest of us, the only thing stopping you turning pro, is your love of cake! (or in my case cake, alcohol, biscuits, pizza and a lack of power etc etc)
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • turbotommy

my one and only KOM was done on a quiet even for Bushy Park, so I wasn't slowing for kids/dogs/walkers/deer/cars/bikes/toads and so on.

in other words right time and place! I quite often end up at a slow walking pace, on the weekends when it's a bit busier.

some folks when driving or riding even if they don't go that fast, they don't slow either.

get a lot of riders between Kew and Putney on the tow path who just don't slow or think.

Agreed.

I personally feel that if you're not going slow enough to verbally say excuse as you approach then you're going to fast. But like I say, probably not a popular sentiment on a bike forum. The canal is becoming more and more populated by the week though so... Let's see what happens
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Imatfaal I believe is referring to the Lee Canal, which is a little less populated than Camden or Islington, other than the water rats and moorhens.

JD - nope no idea. Haven't used the canal this year and my KOM's appear to be intact.
  • itboffin
    I used speed as my nodder defence this morning, timed the lights to perfection and nailed it.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Pretty terrible round here too. This week I've done 4 commuting runs (about 20 miles), on some days I've seen as many as two other cyclists.
  • imatfaal
    Sorry if you took it that way imatfaal. I'm sure like the rest of us, the only thing stopping you turning pro, is your love of cake! (or in my case cake, alcohol, biscuits, pizza and a lack of power etc etc)
    Cake - check, alcohol - check, biscuits - no, pizza - check, lack of power - double check; damn it seems you do know me :-)
  • imatfaal
    Imatfaal I believe is referring to the Lee Canal, which is a little less populated than Camden or Islington, other than the water rats and moorhens.

JD - nope no idea. Haven't used the canal this year and my KOM's appear to be intact.

Yeah the Lea between Limehouse and all places North from short hop to Stratford to winding all the way to Broxbourne, or even Ware. Never seen you on the segment list but then strava can be like that sometimes with hidden/hazardous sections. Although I do see who I guess is you on the road segments around woodford and buckhurst hill. Unfo I am in the 40-50th place and you are in the top few - kudos
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858

Yeah the Lea between Limehouse and all places North from short hop to Stratford to winding all the way to Broxbourne, or even Ware. Never seen you on the segment list but then strava can be like that sometimes with hidden/hazardous sections. Although I do see who I guess is you on the road segments around woodford and buckhurst hill. Unfo I am in the 40-50th place and you are in the top few - kudos

Don't tempt JZed, I think I could get most of the canal KOMs along there if I bothered to target them and the last time I competed for a section with JZed I came worse off.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • imatfaal
    edited August 2015

Don't tempt JZed, I think I could get most of the canal KOMs along there if I bothered to target them and the last time I competed for a section with JZed I came worse off.

I have only been riding just over 3 years so I am still in the phase of seeing some of this forum's poster's strava segments and thinking "how can you go that fast?" - so no challenges coming from here
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Anyway, with toys back in prams, shall we talk about this Tube strike? :mrgreen:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • imatfaal
    Anyway, with toys back in prams, shall we talk about this Tube strike? :mrgreen:

We all know it's gonna be damned awful - all this sniping and bickering is just us try to distract ourselves from that terrible foresight. :P
  • veronese68
    No tubes near my commute so I'd like to get on with clearing my pram. :P
  • turbotommy
    Cake - check, alcohol - check, biscuits - no, pizza - check, lack of power - double check; damn it seems you do know me :-)

Of course. We're part of the same tribe after all :wink:
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • turbotommy
    No tubes near my commute so I'd like to get on with clearing my pram. :P

The 2nd of the latest strikes seemed much less disruptive to me. I'm not sure if that's because TFL made better contingency plans, less people striked or people in general were better prepared though? I'm travelling from Camden Town to millbank at the moment and I find because I head off around 7am I avoid the peak traffic. Doing laps around Regent's Park in the evening though you really notice the difference in traffic. And the added levels of anger/tension in the air are just incredible
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385

A fake result as Jose Mourinho would say.

There was a 2.7 mile segment between Ponders End lock and Wharf road in 2012 when I first got strava. I decided I wanted the KOM. I did it with a 23.9mph average and never lost that KOM. Stopped using strava for a while and when I went back that segment no longer exists. Now a longer one and several shorter ones dotted around. Robbed.
  • imatfaal

A fake result as Jose Mourinho would say.

There was a 2.7 mile segment between Ponders End lock and Wharf road in 2012 when I first got strava. I decided I wanted the KOM. I did it with a 23.9mph average and never lost that KOM. Stopped using strava for a while and when I went back that segment no longer exists. Now a longer one and several shorter ones dotted around. Robbed.

On a very dodgy internet board I have seen kids in the states all agreeing to mark a segment as hazardous to get it removed as someone had a KOM they would never beat.
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Too young to drive obviously.
  • imatfaal
    I doubt many of the strike-nodders will brave the heavy rain - there might be a lot of "working from home" if the strikes and the heavy rain coincide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co_DNpTMKXk
  • imatfaal
    The Unite union has called off two 24-hour Tube strikes planned for this week after talks with London Underground managers.

The position of the Rail, Maritime and Transport (RMT) union and the Transport Salaried Staffs' Association is not yet known.

The three unions have been in dispute with London Underground over pay and conditions on the new Night Tube service.

from beeb - hopefully other two unions will follow suit