Btwin Ultra 700AF...Help!

markhig2
markhig2 Posts: 8
edited September 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi,

First time poster and newbie so be gentle on me! :-)

Looking for a bike on the cycle to work scheme and had my heart set on a Giant defy 1 2015 or wait on the 2016 model which will be £899. I dropped into decathlon Belfast the other day to just get a feel for the size of bike i will need and was really taken by the Ultra 700AF (Not a fan of the green but once the bar tape is changed it will look a bit better). The bike is selling at £750 and seems like a great bike for the money.

I know i can pick up a Giant defy 1 2015 for £720 and a Defy 0 2015 for £800 but at 5ft 8(ish) and an inside leg of 30" it looks like i need a small frame which seems to be difficult to come by in the 2015 Defy.

I currently run between 20 and 30 miles a week and the bike will hopefully be used in some triathlon events in the future. My current biking experience is limited to a rockrider 5.1 used very rarely on the odd commute.

Anyway...I don't really want to start another sub 1K thread, this is more a "Reasons not to but the Ultra 700AF" thread, with any recommendations welcome :?

The bike in question - http://www.decathlon.co.uk/ultra-700-af-road-bike-105-id_8324331.html

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    Hello and welcome.

Did you try the Defy 1 in the Medium frame for size and found it too stretched for you and is your plan to go for the Btwin Ultra 700AF in the Small frame size?
  • I haven't been able to get on the defy yet,in any size. I went to decathlon to get a feel for sizing having more or less ruled out the bikes before I went.

I was told Giant are actually.pretty big bikes (giant by name and all that) and since I was advised to go for a small ultra 700 I am presuming a small will be the way to go on the defy. All guesswork I know but stock on the 2015 defy in all the LBS is non existent,it would have to be an online purchase,even for the medium.

Something the guy in Decathlon said has stuck in my head,buy the small and have lots of scope on saddle height etc. He said the medium will fit but my saddle might be a bit low.

There was almost no clearance when standing over the medium 700AF.

Decisions decisions..
  • dj58
    If this is your first road bike purchase, then unless you are very sure of the geometry and sizing you need I would recommend you do what you have done with the BTwin, go into the shop/store and sit on the bike/s you are interested in and try them for size.

The Decathlon guy is correct, if you are between bike sizes, the consensus is to opt for the smaller frame and adjust the fit with the seatpost height and stem length/angle/height. Having said that I'm a tad under your height, though with longer legs and reach and ride a medium Defy.

Unfortunately Decathlon don't show a geometry table on the website for the their bikes, so I cannot do a comparison with the Defy bikes, you would need to go and measure the bike up in store if you want to compare it with other bike brands.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    It's difficult to see past the Btwin for value, it's a cracking bike.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    I'd go for the Decathlon but just make sure in your mind that you wont be sensitive to some who will look upon it as less equal than a bike from a big brand like Giant.

It is equal you just have better judgement on value for money.
  • Hindmost
    Hindmost Posts: 57
    Both good bikes and you won't be disappointed with either. You should consider what both companies offer in terms of bike fit, warranty and after-care before making your decision.
  • So really brand is the only reason not to buy it. It's niggling at the back of my mind that i should be going for the "better" brand but at 30 years old i should be past that way of thinking!

If i do buy the Btwin i'm sure my reservations will be forgotten when i get out on it for the first time!

Having dealt with decathlon i know their aftercare is excellent, however their setup can leave a lot to be desired. The Belfast store seems to be much better than the old Glasgow store i have to say.I have obviously never dealt with Giant, what's everyone's experience with them? My LBS don't have the 2015 in stock so it would need to be an online purchase, would i deal with the LBS for any warranty work etc?

Interestingly the 2016 Defy has appeared online today, no change spec wise but i do prefer last years colours!

Thanks for your input guys.
  • dj58
    If you bought a Defy mail order/online then if you had any serious issues with it, in the first instance your recourse is with the retailer who sold you the bike. Although you should be able to take it to any Giant authorised dealer to make warranty claim, I'd check with Giant UK for clarification on that.

If you can look past the brand logo on the downtube you will probably find that the 700AF is as good a bike as the Defy, never ridden a Btwin so can't say how it rides compared to the Defy.
  • I have found a picture showing the geometry for this bike..
  • dj58
    Very similar geometry, so if you find the small btwin a good fit then the Small Defy should be fine.

Defy Small
    VTT 53.0cm
    HT 14.5cm
    HTA 72.0 deg.
    STA 74.0 deg.
    Stem 10.0cm
    Stack 54.5cm
    Reach 37.3cm
    Wheel base 99.0cm

BTwin 700AF Small
    VTT 53.5cm
    HT 14.0cm
    HTA 72.0 deg.
    STA 74.0 deg.
    Reach
    Stack
    Wheel base 99.1cm

Defy Medium
    VTT 54.5cm
    HT 16.5cm
    HTA 72.5 deg.
    STA 73.5 deg.
    Stem 10.0cm
    Stack 56.6cm
    Reach 37.7cm
    Wheel base 99.5cm

BTwin 700AF Medium
    VTT 54.8cm
    HT 16.5cm
    HTA 72.5 deg.
    STA 73.5 deg.
    Reach
    Stack
    Wheel base 99.5cm
  • Thanks for the info!Looks like 700 AF wins!
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    I'm the same height and have same inside leg and my small Defy fits me perfectly. Medium felt a little stretched.
  • Picked up my Ultra 700AF on Sunday, can only really fault the decathlon setup, the bike itself is awesome!

Thanks for all the input!
  • Mark,

here are some Decathlon size guides.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/blog/sports/btwin-road-bike-size-guide/

At F508 I think you would be spot on with the Alur in a small size, plus with the advice on it being better to work with a slightly smaller frame than one that is too large to start with.
    Glen

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.