Gear cables and outer cutting

pmillard
pmillard Posts: 10
edited August 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi there,

Need to replace the gear cables on my mountain bike.

Short of buying a cable cutter, whats the best way of cutting the cables and outers?
I have bought Jagwire's just in case that makes any difference.

Cheers,

Pete

Comments

• dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    proper cable cutter ideally, can get for around £10

you can get away with some basic pliers/cutters from your DIY store but it won't cut as well

i'd invest in the proper tool, you'll get good use out of it
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Without a proper cutter, good quality (large) pliers for outers and side cutters for inners are the best option.

After cutting lightly squash the cable end at 90 degrees to the cut to push it back to (nearly) round.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    And melts the liner......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I bought a pair of Park cable cutters about 8 years ago they have had a lot of use but they are still sharp and cut beautifully clean. If they are well looked after ie not thrown in a tool box they will last me for life I reckon well worth the £25 they cost me.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap