New rotor groupset

cycleclinic
cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
edited August 2015 in Road buying advice
I am really intrigued. Hydraulic fluid lines for the mechs and hydraulic brakes. Could it be The Spannish have come up with something perfect or is there a fatal flaw. Its out in Spring next year. I really need to get my self a proper race bike maybe I should throw this on it there should be no more gear shifting issues and there is no battery to charge. I wonder how compatible it will be with the frames currently on sale.
http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,702
    Be interesting to see how it performs in the real world. It should work really well, but as soon as there are any problems that require bleeding it could be a pain. How many people will blame the hydraulics, try to bleed it and screw it up when a bent hanger is the true culprit?
  • I suspect the USP for this is going to be fully hidden cables - hydraulics can go round sharp bends, so it will be ideal to hide all cables.

Hence new frames would be the optimum way.
    I'd also expect that a few designs will be introduced of frame/ cable routing, before the best design emerges.
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    Aren't the most recent Cervelo frames compatible with hydraulic lines?

I wonder if there's a need/way to index the gears or whether it simply relies on being bled properly. Considering disc brakes need bleeding once in a blue moon, this could be the closest to a fit and forget groupset.
  • veronese68
    I wonder if there's a need/way to index the gears or whether it simply relies on being bled properly. Considering disc brakes need bleeding once in a blue moon, this could be the closest to a fit and forget groupset.
    A concern is that presumably it can't be sold as a sealed set up if they are going for internal routing so the quality of shifting may be dependant on the quality of the bleed. I can't see that a mech or shifter can be threaded through a frame, so not an easy DIY install. Once fitted and done it should be great, almost fit and forget as you say and as previously mentioned hydraulics can make much tighter curves.
    How many people will go for this over the electronic groupsets though? It'll be interesting to watch.
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    Good point about internal routing. Could be a right PITA to set up.

Electronic shifting will always have an advantage in its programmability - additional shifters, smart shifting seen on XTR etc. I suppose hydraulics will appeal to people who prefer mechanical systems or are scared of putting a battery on their bike.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    The advantage of the hydraulic group will be for those who want an all weather system and who cover very high mileage and might forget to charge the battery. The battery is the weakspot in any electronic system batteries and over time they hold less charge. A hydraulic system once setup properly and if it is reliable should never need to be bleed and could last years with only a change of BB, chain and cassette. That would be useful. I have to many chargers in my life as it is. As for adapability when a bike starts shifting itself I will throw it in the hedge. Smart shifting my arse.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • veronese68
    As for adapability when a bike starts shifting itself I will throw it in the hedge. Smart shifting my ars*.
    :lol: Mine sometimes does that without electronics, usually means I've been lazy and it's suffering serious neglect.