Switch from 29er HT to 27.5 Full Suspension or upgrade?

barrysayer
barrysayer Posts: 18
edited August 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi, I have had a Trek Superfly 8 29er for a couple of years. Its in great condition and I love it. I have been doing long distance trails and some road, XC and MTB centres such as Kielder with purpose built tracks. It has suited me well until recently.

I'm doing more off-road/non trail centre stuff which obv involves more technical uphill and theres a few things I'm starting to notice.

a) Spending a lot of time moving my seat for climbs/downhills.
b) My gearing seems higher on a 29er. Not sure if a 26" has lower gears, obv theres a difference in the wheel size but my understanding was the number of teeth on the cassette counter balanced this (i think).
c) Lack of rear suspension.
d) My thoughts on a smaller wheel size would be better for technical ascents.

I was thinking about getting a seat dropper, but then my mind has shifted a bit towards maybe replacing the whole bike, especially with the price of a decent dropper.

Anyone have similar scenarios and advice? I see a full suss/carbon/650 with seat dropper spec is around the £2k-£3k mark.

Barry :mrgreen:

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    a/ Dropper seatpost?
    b/ Not true in most cases, Shimano did do a cheap and nasty 12-36 nine speed for 29ers but most decent 29ers will be on similar gearing to a 26er, are getting into lowest gear? if so what chainring and sprocket size?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Certainly sounds to me like you'd be better off with the 27.5 FS

I have a 29er rigid and 26" FS and used to have a 26" HT, all fun bikes in their own areas but the 26" FS was always the bike I wanted to be on if riding for more than a couple of hours. My next bike will likely be a 120-130mm 27.5 although not started researching so can't offer suggestions based on experience, I'll certainly be looking at Canyons and the Giant Anthem though.

Seat post droppers do make a big difference IMO if you're riding steep technical terrain. I rarely used to bother dropping my standard post but do it regularly now I have a dropper (KS Lev, works well IME), if you can already be bothered with stopping and dropping a lot it should be a big benefit for you.
  • a/ Dropper seatpost?
    b/ Not true in most cases, Shimano did do a cheap and nasty 12-36 nine speed for 29ers but most decent 29ers will be on similar gearing to a 26er, are getting into lowest gear? if so what chainring and sprocket size?

Hey, this is what i have:

Shimano SLX crank, 38/24 tooth
    Shimano Deore Cassette, 11-36 tooth, 10spd

Mines a 29er, the others were 26. Am i right in thinking that the lowest gear in my set will be similar/same as a 26er and my pedals will rotate at same speed to move me the same speed, even though my wheels are bigger? It did seem they were getting faster pedal rotation for same speed.
  • Certainly sounds to me like you'd be better off with the 27.5 FS

I have a 29er rigid and 26" FS and used to have a 26" HT, all fun bikes in their own areas but the 26" FS was always the bike I wanted to be on if riding for more than a couple of hours. My next bike will likely be a 120-130mm 27.5 although not started researching so can't offer suggestions based on experience, I'll certainly be looking at Canyons and the Giant Anthem though.

Seat post droppers do make a big difference IMO if you're riding steep technical terrain. I rarely used to bother dropping my standard post but do it regularly now I have a dropper (KS Lev, works well IME), if you can already be bothered with stopping and dropping a lot it should be a big benefit for you.

Would the 26 be your preference on non technical trails too? I have been doing some long days on trails over the last year and the 29er was good for this, but I don't want 2 bikes really. It might be I have no option, but its a cost as well as storage problem. Thats why one option I have is to get dropper for my current Trek. I do bother to drop and lift the seat at obvious sections of a trail, but theres always plenty of smaller bits where i just ride through and a dropper would be convenient I guess.
  • My personal view would be to get a Giant Anthem SX 120 mm travel and dropper post. I am a bit biased though.

The Anthem does seem to get good reviews, quite a vast price range though. Are the Giant droppers good? Never known anyone with one. Everyone I know has the Thomson or Reverb.

The SX isn't Carbon is it?
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    I have the giant connect post, it's been fine for two years but needs regular cable servicing.

I think N+1 applies here. Keep your current bike and look
    For a smaller wheeled full suss
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Giant dropper post is functional I can't fault it operationally, however the rail clamp/seat angle clamp can creak a bit if not tightened properly. Assembly paste or smear of grease seems
    I wouldn't use grease, I've seen them spin and point at the sky when there was an impact onto the saddle due to the lubrication in that joint where you want friction.

Assembly paste is the daddy.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Giant dropper post is functional I can't fault it operationally, however the rail clamp/seat angle clamp can creak a bit if not tightened properly. Assembly paste or smear of grease seems
    I wouldn't use grease, I've seen them spin and point at the sky when there was an impact onto the saddle due to the lubrication in that joint where you want friction.

Assembly paste is the daddy.

I can never find bike specific paste, is it ok to use car exhaust assembly paste?