Flying With Bike From Gatwick

bradsbeard
bradsbeard Posts: 210
edited August 2015 in Commuting chat
Flying to Majorca with Norwegian Airlines from Gatwick and have been told the following:

We recommend for all bikes to be packed in protective packaging suitable for the transport of bicycles. Flights departing from London-Gatwick (LGW) and Bangkok (BKK) require that all bicycles are packed in a hard case/box, a bag is not acceptable. Bicycles that are not packaged in a hard case will be rejected. Norwegian does not have hard cases/boxes available for purchase at the airport.

Anyone flown from Gatwick this year with their bike in a soft case? Haven't heard this from any other airline.

Comments

• bradsbeard
    bradsbeard Posts: 210
    Flying to Majorca with Norwegian Airlines from Gatwick and have been told the following:

We recommend for all bikes to be packed in protective packaging suitable for the transport of bicycles. Flights departing from London-Gatwick (LGW) and Bangkok (BKK) require that all bicycles are packed in a hard case/box, a bag is not acceptable. Bicycles that are not packaged in a hard case will be rejected. Norwegian does not have hard cases/boxes available for purchase at the airport.

Anyone flown from Gatwick this year with their bike in a soft case? Haven't heard this from any other airline.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699

I wouldn't send a bike in a soft case, seems a recipe for ending up with a broken bike...
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Yep, flew Easyjet from Gatwick (North Terminal) to Malaga and back at Easter, with one bike in a hard case and another in a soft case. No issue with either.

Due to a miscalculation on my part, the hard case actually weighed in at 34kg. The guy at excess baggage looked at the weight, and then wrote 32kg on the ticket...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I've flown from Gatwick to Malaga with Norwegian. Took a hard case. Flew back from Geneva to City via Swiss on Monday as well. Hard case again. I'd caution against using a soft case, my brother's bike was badly damaged flying out from Gatwick to Cyprus a few years ago...
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I've used my Evoc bike bag lots of times on lots of airlines - absolutely no issue (including Gatwick a few weeks ago on EasyJet). It's not like you're shipping glass or crockery - bikes are pretty tough. I use a frame to brace the drop-outs but that's it. Frankly if they're going to make a mess of your bike, they're going to make a mess of your bike box. I've often watched my bike being loaded onto various planes and they always handle it carefully and considerately.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    I have only flown with a hard case, they are usually packed with the oversized luggage and I wouldn't trust my bike in a soft bag tbh.
    I am unaware of any airline offering free hard cases ?
    Living MY dream.
  • warreng
    warreng Posts: 535
    I've just flown Gatwick-Nice on Easyjet with my Cervelo S3 in a soft case and had no issues at all - they were very helpful. I was concerned about using a soft case so I bought 2 pieces of plywood to make the case more rigi d and spent a few quid on bubble wrap

PS I find that you can completely bypass check-in and security queues if your 14 year old daughter faints.
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Yeah flown a couple of times from Gatwick with a DHB bike bag no problem.

Been told that baggage handlers prefer bags to hard boxes as they're easier to grab/hold and manoeuvre. The hard cases are more like to get chucked about....
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    PS I find that you can completely bypass check-in and security queues if your 14 year old daughter faints.
    Did she see Robert Pattinson in the security queue?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • warreng
    warreng Posts: 535
    Did she see Robert Pattinson in the security queue?

I've just had to Google that. The minds of 14 year old girls were a mystery to me when I was a teenager, even more so now I've got one sponging off me

I initially had a go at her for falling on the bike bag. It wasn't until she hadn't moved for about 10 seconds I realised something was up
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282

Bike box Alan will deliver a hard case to your home. I used one earlier this year, great piece of kit and simple to get your bike packed.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    I have flown from LGW with a bike bag, no problem, but it was Easy Jet.