Oakley Lenses

Coach H
Coach H Posts: 1,092
edited September 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi, does anybody know if the lenses in Oakley Radars and RadarLocks are interchangeable?
Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')

Comments

• graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I believe that they are not. I've only owned RadarLocks, but there's a shaped portion of the lens which "locks" into the frame. I also seem to recall early reviews mentioning that the lenses were not interchangeable.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    No they're not. Also look at Walleva lenses - I tried some as a cheap alternative to Oakley. Their iridium colours arent as good as Oakleys but shades seem to be just as decent.
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    Had the Walleva iridium lenses on my old Radars and IMO they are no where near as good as the Oakley iridium lenses they replaced.

My findings were they struggled in low light conditions when moving from light to shade, gave a funny "buzz" on the road surface (don't know how else to describe this, almost like my vision was fuzzy), they aren't as thick as the Oakley lenses so rattled a bit in the frames (although not so you'd really notice too much) they are a slightly different shape than the radar lenses (smaller), the iridium coating wore off very quickly giving poor visibility.

Ultimately you get what you pay for and I think that its worth paying the extra for the Oakley lenses.
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • The Radar Locks are changeable, i own the radar lock path and they came with x2 lenses..easily swapped over…as stated..you do get what you pay for with Oaks in my opinion, quality lenses, all the research etc wouldn't be necessary if they were all the same…contrary to what you may read/hear elsewhere.I know there is some marketing hype, but overall Oaks for me, and if I was pushed maybe the top end Rudy Projects.
    Just my opinion..feel fee to flame me… it wouldn't be the BR forum if someone doesn't!!! lol :D:D
  • As above, Radar and RadarLock lenses are not compatible with each other.
    However, the Radar lenses can be removed from the frame and changed just like RadarLocks can. In fact, I would wonder how much time you really save with changing lenses with the RadarLock over Radar, as they still need some persuasion to take out and re-fit.

As also said, you get what you pay for. £170 is a lot to spend on a pair of sunglasses, but bearing in mind how good they are, how much you'll use them and also that they last 'forever' it's actually not too bad in the scheme of things.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Get your Oakley's online from abroad and save yourself some cash. I got a pair of Radar EVs with Prism Road lenses delivered from Spain for £86 last week.

With regards to Walleva lenses, their quality appears to be quite variable reading the reviews, with those available from Revant Optics (formerly known as Visionary Lenses) supposedly musch better.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    "As also said, you get what you pay for. £170 is a lot to spend on a pair of sunglasses, but bearing in mind how good they are, how much you'll use them and also that they last 'forever' it's actually not too bad in the scheme of things."[/quote]

Only if you look after them, wash with water as soon as you get home then clean with Oakley's cleaning fluid.
  • mawashi
    mawashi Posts: 48
    As much as I love the styling of Oaks, I hate how bad their quality is. I've have everything from Ti A frames to Juliets to unknown n everyone of them came apart in a year or so. It starts with peeling film off the lens, rubber pieces getting gummy etc. Mind u I always wash n dry them.

I finally gave up n got Rudy projects n will nv look back. Even damaged lenses (non Rx) are replaceable and the quality rocks!
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    As much as I love the styling of Oaks, I hate how bad their quality is. I've have everything from Ti A frames to Juliets to unknown n everyone of them came apart in a year or so. It starts with peeling film off the lens, rubber pieces getting gummy etc. Mind u I always wash n dry them.

I finally gave up n got Rudy projects n will nv look back. Even damaged lenses (non Rx) are replaceable and the quality rocks!

I found the exact opposite, the frame and lenses on my radars lasted ages, bought then around 6 years ago and only swapped the lenses to the Walleva ones last year to try them out, the frames are still going strong and I am using my yellow lenses in them now and they have been relegated to my bad weather/night time glasses.

I also have a pair of Saphire Iridium Jawbreakers which whilst I have only had them since last month seem well made. I also have 2 pairs of Holbrooks, one is 3 years old and going strong, the others are 3 months old and again seem well made.

I am not particularly careful with my glasses either.

I used to have a pair of Rudy's and they were bullet proof, however I just think that Oakley have nailed it style wise more than any other brand (for cycling), the only others I would look at are Bloc as I quite like the style of them
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437

I'm looking at a pair of halfjackets that get used every day in the summer - walking driving running. They must be 10 years old - the only thing I can see is that the Oakley name is wearing off on the bridge. I've had excellent use from them. Same as my cycling glasses - never had need to replace them.

Oh apart from some eyejackets - the frame cracked apart and they replaced that for me. Fantastic value in terms of pence per wear.
  • DKay
    As much as I love the styling of Oaks, I hate how bad their quality is. I've have everything from Ti A frames to Juliets to unknown n everyone of them came apart in a year or so. It starts with peeling film off the lens, rubber pieces getting gummy etc.

Did you not raise these issues with Oakley? Their customer service and warrantee is second to none, although they stopped doing the half-price damage replacement scheme last year. New rubber kits are readily and cheaply available too at only a tenner.

Also, I've had a set of Oakley X-metal Pennys for well over a decade and they're as good now as when they were new. When I lost one of the rubber nosepieces, I called Oakley UK to buy some replacements and they sent some out to me free of charge.
  • mawashi
    mawashi Posts: 48
    I did but there in lies another major issue. I bought them online via and the local distributor won't deal with the issue and contacting oak in the us only resulted in having to buy another set of lens. The issue is no matter what, the humid and hot tropical climate here corrodes and makes gummy the rubber parts within a year or so. The worse is the peeling of all and I mean every polarized lens I have.

What's the point of replacement if I have do it every year?

For Rudy, I can replace any lens for $25 and an additional $15 for more lenses. That's peanuts compared to oakley.
    http://www.rudyprojectusa.com/warranty_RLG_claim.php
  • dav1d1
    dav1d1 Posts: 653
    Does anyone know if you can get different colour bottom frames for the jawbreakers as seen in the tour they had different colour on the bottom from the rest of the glasses but on Oakley website can't find anything
  • DKay
    I don't think you can get them separately yet. But you can obviously buy multile pairs and swap the lower jaws over for a custom colour combination.
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    No they're not. Also look at Walleva lenses - I tried some as a cheap alternative to Oakley.
    +1
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2