To re-glue or not to re-glue....

dfawatts
dfawatts Posts: 753
edited August 2015 in Cyclocross
My first race of the season is now less than one month away so I'm really beginning to get excited. I've been out training a few times on the bike already and all is going well.

My tyres were new last year and after only a handful of races and rides they still remain in good condition. They are Schwalbe Racing Ralph stuck to my Velocity Major Tom home built wheels. The big question is - do I need to re-glue them?

It's got to be one of the least pleasant jobs to do on a bike so I'd really rather not do it. What do others in the forum do?

Is it a definite re-glue or die or is a really good check good enough. If a check is all that's required, how much force would you recommend I apply to the tyre to see if it stays in place?

abcdefghij.png
Racing Team = Team VeloViewer
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/302591/

Comments

• VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    My first race of the season is now less than one month away so I'm really beginning to get excited. I've been out training a few times on the bike already and all is going well.

My tyres were new last year and after only a handful of races and rides they still remain in good condition. They are Schwalbe Racing Ralph stuck to my Velocity Major Tom home built wheels. The big question is - do I need to re-glue them?

It's got to be one of the least pleasant jobs to do on a bike so I'd really rather not do it. What do others in the forum do?

Is it a definite re-glue or die or is a really good check good enough. If a check is all that's required, how much force would you recommend I apply to the tyre to see if it stays in place?

abcdefghij.png

Give them a really good wrestle all the way around. Basically try as hard as you can to peel them off. If they give, reglue. If they refuse to budge then you're good to go.

Gluing tubs is only unpleasant the first few times. Once you get the hang of it, it's actually one of the most Zen things there is.
  • dfawatts
    Thanks - will have a go tonight

Gluing tubs is only unpleasant the first few times. Once you get the hang of it, it's actually one of the most Zen things there is.

I hope that one day I will agree with this.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    You won't mind doing a few extra ones for me, then...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    You won't mind doing a few extra ones for me, then...

Pop them in the post! Honestly, I don't mind a few extras, I do a few for clubmates as well.
  • dfawatts
    My question has been answered in the most annoying way.

The good news is that the rear tyre was superbly glued on.

How do I know this?

Easy, I had to take it off after knackering the rim whilst out training over Stannage Road in the Peak District. Stupid of me to do a training ride over tricky terrain on my racing wheels. It took a good 20 minutes of heaving to get the tyre off.

I'm now in the process of taking the old Major Tom rim off and putting a new one on. Then starts the process of gluing all over again. I have until 12 September before my first race....Wish me luck.

abcdefghij.png