Vuelta In The Flesh - Advice

mozejo
mozejo Posts: 115
edited August 2015 in Pro race
I'm going to try and see Stage 7 of the Vuelta in the flesh ( so to speak - not in a mankini ) and was hoping to position myself somewhere near the end of the stage at Capileira . From what I can see there is only one way in to this climb - does anyone have a clue how much in advance they will close the roads off for general access ? For a finish at around 5.30-6 local time what time do you think I might need to get there in order to park , find a spot etc ?

Comments

• I'm going to try and see Stage 7 of the Vuelta in the flesh ( so to speak - not in a mankini ) and was hoping to position myself somewhere near the end of the stage at Capileira . From what I can see there is only one way in to this climb - does anyone have a clue how much in advance they will close the roads off for general access ? For a finish at around 5.30-6 local time what time do you think I might need to get there in order to park , find a spot etc ?

Its Spain. They saunter out and put barriers up seemingly a few mins before the race arrives even at the finish :)

I exaggerate a bit - but not much...
  • mozejo
    mozejo Posts: 115
    Hmmm - the general approach is a bit laissez faire isn't it ? I'd just hate to pitch up there too late and find that I can't actually get anywhere near the action !
  • CS3
    CS3 Posts: 17
    I'm heading out to see Stages 11 and 12 and the road leaving Andorra that we need to take to get to the best place to view Stage 12 is the same road the riders will come down, so good to know that it won't be closed crazily early.

Can't wait...
  • I'm watching stages 8 and 9. Will be on the final climb for stage 8, they go up it twice then it's a short flat run to the stage finish. Stage 9 I'll be watching the roll-out.

How far in advance is it worth going to the roll-out? I was hoping to watch riders sign in, warming up etc so thinking of getting there a couple of hours before the stage starts.
  • I'm watching stages 8 and 9. Will be on the final climb for stage 8, they go up it twice then it's a short flat run to the stage finish. Stage 9 I'll be watching the roll-out.

How far in advance is it worth going to the roll-out? I was hoping to watch riders sign in, warming up etc so thinking of getting there a couple of hours before the stage starts.

90 mins should do it tbh. Access is great, riders are far more relaxed if photos or autographs are your thing - a far cry from the Tour. However, if its stinking hot, bear in mind that many will tend to stay on their nice a/c buses for as long as possible
  • jasonbrim
    jasonbrim Posts: 105
    I'm watching stages 8 and 9. Will be on the final climb for stage 8, they go up it twice then it's a short flat run to the stage finish. Stage 9 I'll be watching the roll-out.

90 mins should do it tbh. Access is great, riders are far more relaxed if photos or autographs are your thing - a far cry from the Tour. However, if its stinking hot, bear in mind that many will tend to stay on their nice a/c buses for as long as possible

I'm doing the same for stages 8 and 9, and will watch stage 10 too. We will then drive up after the start of stage 9 to catch them further along as well.
    I don't think watching them sign on is worth it, better to hang around the team buses instead and see all the action that goes on there, as well as being able to have a chat or picture with riders (if they let you). Then you can walk over to the start or any other road they use, to watch the start.
  • Hi all,

We were thinking of going to see the Vuelta for the TTT in Marbella on Saturday. I'm aware it's an evening start so do you think the roads into Marbella will be accessible in the early afternoon for us to park up there and watch the stage later on in the day? Also does anyone have experience of being able to leave a town in the car shortly after a stage finish?

Thanks!

I'm doing the same for stages 8 and 9, and will watch stage 10 too. We will then drive up after the start of stage 9 to catch them further along as well.
    I don't think watching them sign on is worth it, better to hang around the team buses instead and see all the action that goes on there, as well as being able to have a chat or picture with riders (if they let you). Then you can walk over to the start or any other road they use, to watch the start.

For stage 8 I'll ride to Cresta del Gallo and see if I can find some space on the climb to stand and watch. Given the temperatures I'm hoping it'll be a shady spot....

I'm taking my young kids to the stage 9 roll-out so we'll have a wander around the buses and then see them ride off. Hopefully the kids will enjoy the experience of seeing a few riders etc.

Any ideas on how I can find out exactly where in Torrevieja the stage 9 start is ? All I know is that they leave town via the Av. Ronda Samper !
  • Hi all,

We were thinking of going to see the Vuelta for the TTT in Marbella on Saturday. I'm aware it's an evening start so do you think the roads into Marbella will be accessible in the early afternoon for us to park up there and watch the stage later on in the day? Also does anyone have experience of being able to leave a town in the car shortly after a stage finish?

Thanks!

Take your bucket and spade, and you can join the sand sculpture comp the race organisers are running for the riders on Sat night :wink:
  • Hi all,

Thanks!

Take your bucket and spade, and you can join the sand sculpture comp the race organisers are running for the riders on Sat night :wink:

Helpful. Thanks.
  • jimmurray
    jimmurray Posts: 130
    I've been told the start for stage 9 is Hombre del sol, the main port area in central Torrevieja.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Just for info, the Velorooms site now has the roadbook for 2015 available as a download. This should have all the info on those start/ finish locations. Whilst I can't find an English version at the moment, it should still prove to be a useful document.
  • Just for info, the Velorooms site now has the roadbook for 2015 available as a download. This should have all the info on those start/ finish locations. Whilst I can't find an English version at the moment, it should still prove to be a useful document.

Great, thanks. Had been keeping an eye on Velorooms but it was a couple of days since I last checked.
  • jasonbrim
    jasonbrim Posts: 105
    Just for info, the Velorooms site now has the roadbook for 2015 available as a download. This should have all the info on those start/ finish locations. Whilst I can't find an English version at the moment, it should still prove to be a useful document.

Great, thanks. Had been keeping an eye on Velorooms but it was a couple of days since I last checked.

Either I am totally thick or I can't see it on there. Fancy sharing the link (even if via a PM). Cheers!
  • Look on the right hand side of the Velorooms home page, there's a subheading for "latest roadbooks" and the one for the Vuelta is underneath. Just click the link to download it as a PDF