Bike shop repair prices

ilovegrace
ilovegrace Posts: 677
edited August 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi chaps
I have noticed that the cable to my front derailleur has lost its end as it were !
There is only the cable tightened at the bolt and no extra cable, this must have bent and snapped off when I tried to bend it back from rubbing on my shoe.
Anyhow thats the situation at the moment , I am still riding it and the bike is still shifting OK , but i do have my concerns that the cable will one day slide through / bend , brake, snap etc etc, how much will a LBS charge to renew it , is my question ?
regards
Mark

Comments

• As I have no idea what area of the country you live in, i can't ring your local bike shop to find out for you.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help

FYI it's about £15 where I live
  • Shouldnt be much but I would just buy a new end and put it on with a pair of pliers to crimp it.
    These are £1.19 from Cycle Surgery http://www.cyclesurgery.com/pws/UniqueProductKey.ice?ProductID=CWLD0011SS&gclid=Cj0KEQjwr8uuBRCcg6-s-4TrmIsBEiQAN1TdEeUyq6Kmubx_XJq92cHmBnnD_5cme3pTFtpHm850IikaAmfa8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Not a huge amount, but it's a pretty simple and quick job to change the cable yourself although if you do decide to DIY it would be advisable to buy some decent cable cutters to avoid mangling the cable.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    I thought the OP was saying the cable and the end had snapped, or am I over-interpreting it? If there's a length above the bolt you'll be able to pull it back to put right in the bolt if it slips. Even with an end stop if it slips back to it you'll still need to to pull it back.

I had to fix my cable there after it slipped when I cleaned my bike. The end stop came off but I've not bothered with it. Now it's looking a bit frayed so guess I need those.stops too.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    One thing, if replacing the cable what to get? I've read of jagwire ones, is there really much difference between cables?
  • Myster101
    Myster101 Posts: 856
    Would be very surprised if the multi strand cable has snapped. More likely it's slipped through the retaining bolt on the mech. If it's still shifting ok just make sure the bolt is nipped up and you should be good. No need to replace.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • ilovegrace
    Thanks for the reply's chaps.
    After a quick google search it would apear that the cable has snapped after the point of clamping on the "Anchor Bolt" , the cable is tight in the bolt there is no cable left directly after the bolt , normally there is a 10-20 mm length with a cable end stop attached.
    Me thinks I need a new cable.
    regards
    ILG
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    It's not going to pull through unless you release the cable clamp. If the shifting is OK I wouldn't bother doing anything with it until you next need to replace the cable for performance reasons.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Exactly. The cable isn't going to pull through in normal use with the clamping bolt done up as the pulling force it's subjected to, isn't that big. Replace the cable as and when you need to.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    You can get stainless steel gear cables on ebay for around £1.50 /£2. There are tones of video guides on youtube to show you how to install it yourself. If you would rather have a bike shop do it. Expect to pay around £5-£10. It will be cheaper if you supply the cable yourself.

Avoid any 'galvanised' cables. They are more corrosive and shifting will deteriorate in the long term.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If the end of the cable has snapped off after the clamp it suggests to me the clamp was done up far too tight in the first place, so the remaining cable is unlikely to slip through.

As suggested above, I'd only replace it if / when you start to have shifting problems. I use the standard Shimano stainless steel inner cables; that way I know the nipple is the right shape / size to fit in the shifter (tried cheap Ebay and Clarks cables but they didn't fit well and broke prematurely). No experience with Jagwire.

I do all my own spannering, and replacing a gear cable is a pretty straight forward job. If however you'd rather get the bike shop to do it, maybe you could ask to watch while they do it so you see what's involved? YouTube is also awash with videos showing you how to go about it.
  • ilovegrace
    Thanks chaps
    I will leave well alone !
    regards
    ILG