9sp Quicklink on 10sp drivetrain?

doug5_10
doug5_10 Posts: 465
edited August 2015 in Workshop
hi All,

Putting together an on-the-bike tool kit for my Dad, we got him his first proper road bike for his upcoming 60th.

(Ribble 7046 Sportive with Tiagra 4600, ITM bits and Aksiums, all for £800 which I think is pretty good bang for buck)

Forgot to order a quick link in the various online orders I've placed for all his bits, bobs and extras but have a couple of old 9sp ones kicking about.

Would these do for an emergency get-you-home in the event of a chain break or are tolerances too tight for the slightly wider link to pass through the drivetrain?
Edinburgh Revolution Curve
http://app.strava.com/athletes/1920048

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I think it would probably work in an emergency / get you home type scenario. The pins are 0.72mm longer than the 10 speed ones. I wouldn't do a lot of gear changing / cross-chaining with it joined like that though.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    IMO too risky vs the small outlay required for some 10sp ones.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    They do work (had to lend one to a friend who was riding 10 spd a while ago and broke a chain link...and we had both forgotten to pack a chain breaker). They are clunky though, the chain link skipped over the jockey wheels like a stiff link and shifting was noisy/jumpy. I suspect component wear was also far from optimum. Pretty much an emergency/get you home type of solution, IMO.
  • keef66
    They do work (had to lend one to a friend who was riding 10 spd a while ago and broke a chain link...and we had both forgotten to pack a chain breaker). They are clunky though, the chain link skipped over the jockey wheels like a stiff link and shifting was noisy/jumpy. I suspect component wear was also far from optimum. Pretty much an emergency/get you home type of solution, IMO.

Without a chain tool between you, how did you arrive at an inner link at each end of the broken chain in order to use the (oversize) missing link??
  • doug5_10

Without a chain tool between you, how did you arrive at an inner link at each end of the broken chain in order to use the (oversize) missing link??

I'm puzzled by this too, unless 2 pins managed to snap in the same place, and be the right combination for the Quicklink to go straight on??

Tried a stray bit of 10sp chain and a 9 sp link and it passed through cassette and RD OK, should be fine as an emergency measure with shifting gingerly under no load and taking it easy in the middle of the cassette.

Will get a 10 sp one with next decent online shop, or be old fashioned and visit an actual bike shop (or indeed pass on instruction to my Dad!)
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841

Quite easy. The link that broke was the outer plate link (the usual cause of breakage, IME) and it broke completely so that the chain split...so we removed the bits and replaced them with the missing link, simples! Would have been a bit tougher if we had to split the outer plate link...amazing how many folks normally ride with an ML and no breaker...all in the name of weight weenie.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    amazing how many folks normally ride with an ML and no breaker...all in the name of weight weenie.
    Up until recently I'd been riding around for years with a chain breaker and no missing link. Finally remembered to put one in my tool pack a few weeks ago. Although now the bike I do most of my mileage on has an 11 speed chain and I'm riding around with a 10 speed missing link - should probably get some 11 speed links too!
  • doug5_10

Quite easy. The link that broke was the outer plate link (the usual cause of breakage, IME) and it broke completely so that the chain split...so we removed the bits and replaced them with the missing link, simples! Would have been a bit tougher if we had to split the outer plate link...amazing how many folks normally ride with an ML and no breaker...all in the name of weight weenie.

So the pins at either end of the outer plate link both failed?
  • keef66

The pins are an interference fit in the holes in the outer plates only. So if one outer plate came away from it's pins, the opposite plate would just slide out with the pins attached. Most photos I have seen of failed chains involved the outer plates cracking around the holes, so it's certainly feasible.

• doug5_10

The pins are an interference fit in the holes in the outer plates only. So if one outer plate came away from it's pins, the opposite plate would just slide out with the pins attached. Most photos I have seen of failed chains involved the outer plates cracking around the holes, so it's certainly feasible.

Got it, failure in the plate rather than in the pins. Still sounds fortuitous as would require x2 failures in either the plate or the flange on the pin for the outer plate to fully detach for the other side to slide out easily.

Admittedly not much experience as only broken a chain once, but would always expect just the one failure that leaves 2 outer plates hanging by 1 end? (thus needing the chain breaker when you're out and about to fit the quicklink.)
  • Skonk
    Skonk Posts: 364
    A while back I was doing a bit of maintenance on one of my mountain bikes and realised that the quick link was severely bent/warped.

When I had a closer look, it turned out that at some point I'd accidentally fitted a 9 speed link on to the 10 speed chain (I carried both types in my bag because I had several bikes with a mix of 9, 10 and 11 speed setups).

Even now, I don't quite understand the logistics of how it got bent so badly without me ever noticing it catching; the only thing I can think of is the forces involved in moving it up and down the chain rings at the front while under load coupled with the play introduced by the 9 speed pins being too long were to blame.

So yeh, don't put a 9 speed link on a 10 speed chain.
    Canyon Spectral AL 9.0 EX
    Planet X RT90 Ultegra Di2