Super Duper BUPA Tuesday

Stevo_666
Stevo_666 Posts: 58,560
edited August 2015 in The bottom bracket
Well I made it through my company medical with flying colours this morning, although I didn't appreciate having to skip brekkie and coffee. When I say flying colours, the doc confirmed that I was not about to die and said that I was in very good shape - for someone of my age :) . Cheeky mare.

The only slightly scary part was when they did a VO2 Max test on a stationary bike which simulated pedalling uphill for 5 minutes :P Is a VO2 Max of 42 really bad?

Onwards to some token healthy food...
"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,331
    Never had a VO2 max test. Does it help if you pedal up hills?
    Not much going on here thankfully. Cake has been had so all is well with the world. One of the directors bought cakes as the property company he runs from here is moving out. Good cakes too, I took 2 just to be sure. I've already dropped a bit of the weight I put on in the US so thought I should rectumfy the situation. Haven't had a holiday for too long so the EPO and I are looking at a place on Lake Como for a long weekend in October.
    Fun ride in with a bit of deer dodging thrown in. Glad it wasn't one of the big pointy ones, that would have been scary.
    Have fun folks.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,028
    Where at Mr.V? I'm there on Saturday and have just reserved a Colnago Mix and some sort of Giant for a day.

No idea if its any good but it has electromtronic gear thingymagigs.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,420
    Well I made it through my company medical with flying colours this morning, although I didn't appreciate having to skip brekkie and coffee. When I say flying colours, the doc confirmed that I was not about to die and said that I was in very good shape - for someone of my age :) . Cheeky mare.

The only slightly scary part was when they did a VO2 Max test on a stationary bike which simulated pedalling uphill for 5 minutes :P Is a VO2 Max of 42 really bad?

Post your age Stevo and I can work out if your VO2 Max is good or not.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • seanoconn
    Never had a VO2 max test. Does it help if you pedal up hills?
    Not much going on here thankfully. Cake has been had so all is well with the world. One of the directors bought cakes as the property company he runs from here is moving out. Good cakes too, I took 2 just to be sure. I've already dropped a bit of the weight I put on in the US so thought I should rectumfy the situation. Haven't had a holiday for too long so the EPO and I are looking at a place on Lake Como for a long weekend in October.
    Fun ride in with a bit of deer dodging thrown in. Glad it wasn't one of the big pointy ones, that would have been scary.
    Have fun folks.
    I hear George Clooney is thinking of selling his Lake Como pad if you're interested?
  • seanoconn
    Eggs for breakfast, sprint to work on the bike, chicken for brunch, 75 pull ups (not in a row) chicken and salad for lunch. Fish and sweet potato for dinner. I'll get you 6 pack or I'll die trying!!!
  • veronese68
    Where at Mr.V? I'm there on Saturday and have just reserved a Colnago Mix and some sort of Giant for a day.

Bellagio. There won't be any messing about with bikes, just a bit of chilling with the Mrs.
    Problem with trying electrickery on your gearijigs is if you like them you will want them on our bike. Actually that's not a problem at all.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,028
    A few pointers...

If you see a sign saying "eat like an italian" over a restaurant. Don't go, its rubbish.

The Melzi Gardens are well worth 5e.

Once you've been through bear left and then right keeping a small harbour on your right. Look left up about 120 steps and there is a resturant called Albergo Ristorante Silvio - Fish pate to start and fish lasagne as a main. It's utterly epic in all ways.

The cycling museum at the top of "the wall" is closed during the week - as we found out...

The two cafe's adjacent to the ferry are decent for lunch and beer, and more beer.

George Clooney will more than likely not be there but you will probably be asked if you've seen him.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Stevo_666

Why don't you post some decent VO2 Max ranges for (say) each year between the ages of 40 and 50 then its useful to more than just me :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • seanoconn

Why don't you post some decent VO2 Max ranges for (say) each year between the ages of 40 and 50 then its useful to more than just me :)
    Well played and avoided :lol:

Between the ages of 40-49 a VO2 max score between 36-44 is average for a non athlete, so you're in good nick Stevo.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,556
    pasted in below is male vo2max vs. age interpretation from another healthcheck provider, they use a cadence ramp test on a wattbike, takes more than 5 mins and they stop at some % of estimated mhr

you can see it doesn't exactly match numbers in the link above, but they're similar

fwiw i felt i was still way below sustainable effort when they stopped, i've no idea how the result compares to the reading you'd get from a test with actual o2 usage measurement, presumably they've done some work to arrive at a reasonable correlation

fwiw i'm in the mids 50s age, score was 44

Age (Years) Very Poor Poor Fair Average Good Very Good Excellent
    <25 <32 32-37 38-43 44-50 51-56 57-62 >62
    25-29 <31 31-35 36-42 43-48 49-53 54-59 >59
    30-34 <29 29-34 35-40 41-45 46-51 52-56 >56
    35-39 <28 28-32 33-38 39-43 44-48 49-54 >54
    40-44 <26 26-31 32-35 36-41 42-46 47-51 >51
    45-49 <25 25-29 30-34 35-39 40-43 44-48 >48
    50-54 <24 24-27 28-32 33-36 37-41 42-46 >46
    55-59 <22 22-26 27-30 31-34 35-39 40-43 >43
    >59 <21 21-24 25-28 29-32 33-36 37-40 >40

can i be arsed to prettyprint it? no, if you can't figure it out then you wouldn't understand anyway :)
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Stevo_666
    Understood and thanks. I am doing quite well in all honesty :) Good and if I can keep it up next year, very good :wink: Like you found sungod, the max effort in the test was nowhere near what I felt was my max sustainable effort so they must extrapolate.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,366
    Where...day.

Bellagio. Thereall.

That ^ looks A1 V68. Can't you go when the Giro de Lombardia is on? October might just be the perfect weather.

Chewsday turned out okay :shock: Even managed a pedal. Need tyre replacements. Should I take the plunge and buy Vottoria's? That is the question.

Ciao.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686

Did you ask for a van to do that bit for you? :P
  • finchy
    Took my son out for a ride on his tricycle this evening. We got to some traffic lights and then spent 45 f**king minutes standing there watching them change, while he signalled to cars to stop and go.

That was a top evening....
  • Stevo_666

Did you ask for a van to do that bit for you? :P
    That's why it was scary, no vans to hand :)
  • seanoconn
    Took my son out for a ride on his tricycle this evening. We got to some traffic lights and then spent 45 f**king minutes standing there watching them change, while he signalled to cars to stop and go.

I know he's precious but you are allowed to say no sometimes or "that's enough, lets go home." Does them good, trust me.
  • pinno

My two watch and wait for ages for the bin lorry on a Friday. All that crunching and squeaking, flashing lights, moving parts, people moving around. It's just plain magic.

The order of vehicles is this:
    Bin Lorry
    Fire engine/ambulance/police car
    Tractors and
    Trucks.

One day they spotted two tractors on a flat bed truck. How good is that? I needed ear muffs because the riot in the back of the car was high on the decibel scale.
  • veronese68

My two watch and wait for ages for the bin lorry on a Friday. All that crunching and squeaking, flashing lights, moving parts, people moving around. It's just plain magic.

Bin Lorry
    Tractors and
    Trucks.

One day they spotted two tractors on a flat bed truck. How good is that? I needed ear muffs because the riot in the back of the car was high on the decibel scale.
    Trains?
    Our IT man was driving along and saw a train, shouted "A TRAIN, A TRAIN" as he usually does when he has the kids in the car. Then realised he had a couple of customers in the car. :oops:
  • finchy

I know he's precious but you are allowed to say no sometimes or "that's enough, lets go home." Does them good, trust me.

I do say no to him sometimes.

"No more cake"
    "No more television"
    "Don't hit your brother"
    "Don't throw that"

On the other hand, I don't tend to say no to him when we're outside and he's having fun. As long as he's getting fresh air and exercise, I'm happy (even if really bored sometimes)
  • finchy

Bin Lorry
    Tractors and
    Trucks.

My boy's hierarchy is:
    Trains (we often spend 30 minutes or so standing on a footbridge. The Eurostar is especially thrilling for him
    Buses
    Tractors
    The bin wagon
    Trucks (they used to be higher, but I think he's bored of them now)
  • pinno

Bin Lorry
    Tractors and
    Trucks.

Trains?
    Our IT man was driving along and saw a train, shouted "A TRAIN, A TRAIN" as he usually does when he has the kids in the car. Then realised he had a couple of customers in the car. :oops:

Brilliant. Switch mode is not always instant. I catch myself saying things to other kids and then realising it was an 'in' joke.

About 6 months ago Thing 2 trapped Thing one's thumb in the door - the hinge side. As it was partially crushed, I elected to go to casualty. Thing 1 ran in to the A&E, turned right straight into the reception area, the door was open and said to the receptionis holding her thumb up like a prize "Goghie* shut tumb in door thore very bad notty Goghie". Receptionist (trying best not to laugh) said to me "No point asking you what happened then". Bless her.

*Sophie.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    10 or so years ago, I underwent a voluntary health screening at work carried out by a firm, whose name I forget.
    The upshot was that I came out thinking that I would be lucky to make it home before keeling over due to a heart attack due to my cholesterol blocked arteries. Subsequent visit to docs put it into perspective with a shake of her head and a proper explanation of the risk.
    My mate came out of his screening, having been told that he must see his doc immediately due to his blood pressure. He was left to feel a stroke was imminent. One emergency appointment later that night saw him emerge from the doc's with a bottle of pills, leaving the doc with a bemused look. Slightly high pressure but not dangerously high.
    The health screening was pure quackery.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,481
    A client of mine was driving with his young son in the back and stops at a crossing to let an attractive female cross the road. He says to himself, aloud, "look at the t1ts on that" only for an echo to appear from the back of the car.

Much driving and distractions later...
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu