Buying from UK or EU? Pros and cons

pilot_pete
pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
edited August 2015 in Road buying advice
Ok

UK based, looking at buying an expensive frame and forks for a build project. Options include buying from a UK bike shop, who will have to order it in, or from another EU country which will have to do the same.

List price is £3499 pretty much everywhere I have seen it in the UK. With the strength of the pound I have seen a Dutch bike shop advertising it for €3449. That is somewhere in the region of a £1000 price difference.

It looks a no brainer as that is a huge saving, but I need to consider the pros and cons. All experience from anyone who has gone this route welcomed. My thoughts are;

Pros
1. Huge saving.
2. It will be the same special order frame and forks, no difference.

Cons
1. They are not UK based and this may have implications. Warranty? Returns etc?
2. Shipping will be required (no great shakes I assume as it will be shipped from the factory wherever it is ordered from)
3. I don't know the continental based bike shop at all.

So, what am I not considering? I know we talk about supporting local businesses etc and as a family we always do that as a first choice, but for such a large purchase the significant price difference cannot be ignored. I don't mind paying a bit extra to support local businesses, but nearly 30% more....that seems a bit too steep just to support a local business.

Presumably the UK dealer is making more profit due to the strength of the pound as the frame and forks originate from a country that uses the Euro...? I am guessing they have to order them in based on a Euro price? Or is it the UK importer who makes the bigger wedge? Or a bit of both?

So, as long as I can gather feedback on the EU based shop to check on credibility and pay with my credit card, what should I worry about?

Thanks in advance all.

PP

Comments

• Dodger747
    Dodger747 Posts: 305
    Buy from EU - it's a single market same consumer rights apply, take advantage of the FX rate while you can...
    VO2 Max - 79 ml/kg/min
    W/kg - 4.9
  • I recently bought a frame (Argon18 Krypton) from a company in Belgium. I also try to support local businesses,but for the saving, I couldn't turn it down. I was equally as nervous, especially as the next email suggested there was a delay in the order, but I was exceptionally pleased with the service. English was superb, friendly and informative communication and they kept me informed throughout. Would definitely do it again, but without a doubt I would use your credit card. Check out the site links and make sure it's not a fake, send them an email to check the return isn't from a gmail account and they answer speedily. There is only so much you can do, but my experience was one I'd be happy to repeat!
  • I bought my bike from Ireland for exactly this reason - saved 26% versus UK price (and they had the frame size I needed in stock). I don't mind paying a premium for "local" but only when it's a reasonable one - and anything in excess of 10%/£100 is unreasonable.

Give them a call - my experience is that virtually everyone in Belgium is at least trilingual (French, Flemish & English)
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    It'll be fine if it all goes well.

If it doesn't then it could be a bit of a nightmare.

Why not speak to the UK dealer and see if they'll match the prices or come closer ?

That's a lot of money to spend on something that could have problems. What is the frame ?
  • JoostG
    JoostG Posts: 189
    I still experience an 'island' attitude :D

Here on the mainland we order our stuff from different shops in different countries (in my case wheels from the UK, frame and parts from Germany, tires from France, etc). The only difference is shipping time, and shipping costs.

Which Dutch bike shop? There are some with a solid reputation and a particular with an horrible reputation.

Most people in the Netherlands understand some English and manage to give an answer, so communication won't be an issue at all. And I can help you if communication will be an issue.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,435
    Why not speak to the UK dealer and see if they'll match the prices or come closer ?
    Strongly agree with this. There are less likely to be problems with a frame than a complete build, but why not see if a local supplier will at least meet you half way.
    The Dutch do usually speak good English, certainly better than the Dutch of the average Brit, but buying in the UK will be cheaper on shipping, exchange and easier to sort any problems. I'm very much European, but I get a lot of phone calls from customers in Europe that have tried to buy in the UK to save money and then run into problems that cannot be resolved easily. It can get painful and we are very accommodating regarding warranty problems.
  • SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    Which Dutch bike shop? There are some with a solid reputation and a particular with an horrible reputation.

The one I ordered my Giant from didn't inspire confidence. Until the day I went to the depot to pick it up, I didn't know which bike I would get. The original was in stock, out of stock, upgrade offered, original in stock, upgrade dispatched, not dispatched, maybe dispatched, somewhere in the f ucking industrial zone of this bullshit city. 3 weeks from order to picking up is pretty shitty considering I could get there in 5 hours by car.
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • JoostG

The one I ordered my Giant from didn't inspire confidence. Until the day I went to the depot to pick it up, I didn't know which bike I would get. The original was in stock, out of stock, upgrade offered, original in stock, upgrade dispatched, not dispatched, maybe dispatched, somewhere in the f ucking industrial zone of this bullshit city. 3 weeks from order to picking up is pretty sh!tty considering I could get there in 5 hours by car.

That's why I offered my help and ask for the name of this shop. Holland isn't that big and most shops and their reputation have been discussed on a Dutch cyclist forum.
  • geoffh73
    geoffh73 Posts: 85
    I would pay by credit card if possible,
    Should offer more protection than paying by debit card or bank transfer should anything go wrong.
    Geoff
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Buy from the EU and save your money for other stuff.

I bought my Merida Reacto from France and saved on the cost of a UK supplied bike. I only wanted the frameset to build to my own spec, but it still worked out cheaper. OK, in my case, I went to the EU because the UK dealers and supplier couldn't get a frame in the size I wanted due to restrictions with the UK ordering process so they tell me. On the continent the same restrictions don't apply.

Cons: you don't know who you're dealing with. I first ordered a bike through an Italian dealer only to get a message that there'd been a warehouse fire and he had no idea when a resupply would be in. He refunded the money with the message, but I somehow doubt the story. I then went to France where there were communication problems as I speak virtually no French and the dealer spoke no English. Google translate came in for much use in communications between us. Paperwork etc is in every language but English and frame warranty is via the supplying dealer which kind of nullifies it.

Pros: I got the bike I wanted, or more specifically the frameset and saved money even with insurance and shipping. Timewise it wasn't any longer than waiting for the UK distributor to supply a local dealer and I got the right size instead of making do.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    I then went to France where there were communication problems as I speak virtually no French and the dealer spoke no English. Google translate came in for much use in communications between us.

Be wary with Google translate - it ain't that great. Although I speak French, I'm currently learning Spanish, and I need to communicate with people in Majorca by email. Google Translate often makes really awful mistakes that throw the gist of the sentence completely. I found I was better off on my own.

I'm more than happy to help anyone with French communication.
  • Dodger747
    It'll be fine if it all goes well.

If it doesn't then it could be a bit of a nightmare.

Other than slightly more expensive shipping costs [if you need to return something], I don't see why. Same laws and consumer rights apply and all communication can be done by phone/e-mail. I order from all over Europe, any issues I've had have all been resolved the same as buying from a UK store...
    VO2 Max - 79 ml/kg/min
    W/kg - 4.9
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    As a Brit living in NL, this makes me smile. You can be here in about an hour (very cheaply) from most UK airports and, after 2 years, I hardly speak a word of Dutch and it's never been an issue. It's not like you're buying from China or Nigeria.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • I wonder about any taxes or surcharges that get put on when it arrives . I have heard of additional costs having to be paid on anytghing over a certain value
  • Dodger747
    Not from the EU you won't, there are no duties or fees to be paid.
    As a Brit living in NL, this makes me smile. .

Same for me living in Belgium!
    VO2 Max - 79 ml/kg/min
    W/kg - 4.9
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    I can't imagine that buying from NL will represent anymore of a problem than buying from a UK shop at the other end of the country.

In both cases if you have a problem it will mean a phone call, emails, photographs and then, eventually, packaging the faulty frame and sending it to them.

Satisfy yourself about the existence of the shop/business and then go for it.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    I wonder about any taxes or surcharges that get put on when it arrives . I have heard of additional costs having to be paid on anytghing over a certain value

There are no additional taxes to pay within the EU.

I bought a load of stuff from Germany earlier this year, including some Fulcrum Zero Nites for £695 - at the time the cheapest place in the UK was £850 and Wiggles price was £950. The wheels suffered some scratch marks, removing some of the black coating (a common issue).

I just contacted the UK distributor, I-Ride, and they offered to sort a warranty replacement with Fulcrum. In the end after I'd calmed down I didn't bother, as the damage isn't really noticeable at all. So I wouldn't worry about having to send stuff back to wherever you buy it from.
  • JoostG
    I wonder about any taxes or surcharges that get put on when it arrives . I have heard of additional costs having to be paid on anytghing over a certain value

Why? As I recall is the UK still part the EU. If you order within the EU, you will pay the VAT belonging to that country, and that's it.

What you are talking about is importing something from outside the EU.

Maybe some of you need to visit the mainland of Europe :lol: You will notice that most people over there have an head, arm and legs, and they can talk and write. And most of them even in your language :shock:
  • That is a disgraceful response Joost - I made a genuine observation.
    Of course I know that the UK is part of the EU.

I did not say or imply anthing about anybody in the EU and indeed I worked in Amsterdam for a good while - learning some Dutch whilst I was there, although as you say,. most peopel speak English.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Firstly apologies for the delayed response, been really busy with work.

The shop I am considering using is 12GOBIKING
    Address;
    Industrieterrein Gouwe park
    Grote Esch 1005
    2841 MJ Moordrecht Telefoon: 0182-621850
    E-mailadres: info@12gobiking.nl

They have been very helpful and prompt with their replies, they are awaiting a response from their supplier regarding fame colour availability. The frame in question is a Colnago C60. I have left them with several questions regarding warranty, shipping costs etc which they will respond to should they be able to supply the specific frame.

I will enquire if a UK dealer will price match, but it would seem highly unlikely that they would knock £1000 off the list price! Can anyone recommend a UK dealer?

Cheers all.

PP
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    Google reviews seem okay, couple of one stars and quite a few five stars, most are in Dutch though. One in English says they don't accept credit cards
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Why? As I recall is the UK still part the EU. If you order within the EU, you will pay the VAT belonging to that country, and that's it.

You're actually most likely to be paying UK VAT, unless the stores are very small / niche product with very small sales to the UK.

It's actually an important thing to remember with things like helmets (zero rated in the UK, not in many other EU countries) Many stores fail to zero rate them when selling to the UK.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/