TT - getting my HR up - how?

johnnybike
johnnybike Posts: 75
edited January 2016 in Health, fitness & training
Just getting into TT and have done 10s and a 25/50/100 now.
I feel I should be able to use more of my HR than I am using but also feel I am working hard and dont know how to push more. I am certain I get get fitter/quicker and that seems to be the area of improvement that has most scope.

MHR 165 ( had a 163 only a few weeks ago) - could maybe be a little higher if I could work hard enough - age 58. Good running background so I know my capabilities.

In 10s I can just about get over 85% AHR withthe odd peak over about 909% but that is it. My 100 was at 79% AHR.
I feel I should work harder but I push as much as I can , spin well but get to the limit of what I can do without my HR rising that much. My FTP is 215

Any thoughts on where I direct my training so as to improve

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    This is a good place to start, http://www.timetrialtraining.co.uk/default.htm

You're not going to get a higher HR just more efficient at a given HR, that is what I've found.

I top out at 186 and can do 20 mins at 170 but not gone beyond that. Seems to be the ceiling to me but then I'm 65 in a few weeks, so I'm happy with that.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • mrwibble
    mrwibble Posts: 980
    You are getting more efficient at the top end of your range. You need to raise your FTP and not worry about heart rate other than when your racing and reaching the red line.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Just getting into TT and have done 10s and a 25/50/100 now.
    I feel I should be able to use more of my HR than I am using but also feel I am working hard and dont know how to push more. I am certain I get get fitter/quicker and that seems to be the area of improvement that has most scope.

MHR 165 ( had a 163 only a few weeks ago) - could maybe be a little higher if I could work hard enough - age 58. Good running background so I know my capabilities.

In 10s I can just about get over 85% AHR withthe odd peak over about 909% but that is it. My 100 was at 79% AHR.
    I feel I should work harder but I push as much as I can , spin well but get to the limit of what I can do without my HR rising that much. My FTP is 215

Any thoughts on where I direct my training so as to improve

Bear in mind that your max HR will most likely be higher running than cycling. I suggest that you don't worry about it. If you're completely boned at the end of your 10 mile tt, your average HR is what it is, and that is a bit over your functional threshold HR (some say 105% of threshold HR for a 10).
  • _HENDO_
    _HENDO_ Posts: 93
    Heart rate is more of a gauge of your max effort. You'll be working in roughly the same HR Zone for 10mTT every time you do one if paced correctly (however your HR trace should show a gradual increase).

Best thing to do is train to become more efficient and up your power at threshold HR.
    For professional MTB & BMX coaching, training & guiding!
    www.pedaltoprogression.com