Rim failure - Should I replace the rim or wheel?

bondyy
bondyy Posts: 3
edited August 2015 in Workshop
Hi all, new user here hoping for some good advice!

I was only about 100 yards from home at the start of a long ride on my LeMond Tourmalet when the rim on my rear wheel blew out, it looks similar to this (image is of someone else's wheel).
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/pcnotpc/sets/72157624638965317/

The wheels have done thousands of miles, so I good good value out of them. Clearly a new rim is in order, but I'm wondering whether I might just be better buying a whole new wheel? Ideally I'd like to replace it with the same model - a bog standard Bontrager SSR (24 spokes with a 9 speed cassette), but I'm struggling to find a new or used wheel/rim for sale anywhere for a reasonable price.

I'd consider myself reasonably knowledgeable about bikes, but I've never built or repaired a wheel before. I'll only be replacing the rear.

My options are:
1. Try and find the same model of wheel/rim, then pay for someone to swap the rims (I need it done quick and correctly).
2. Get a different rim, pay for someone to swap them
3. Get a whole new wheel

The priority is keeping the cost low, and having the bike roadworthy asap. What would you all recommend? Will the cost of having a new rim fitted make it as good value to buy a whole new wheel? Would a Shimano R500/R501 be an appropriate replacement?

Thanks!

Comments