Thetford Winter Series and Southern XC series finished!!

evo3ben
evo3ben Posts: 552
edited September 2015 in XC and Enduro
A few months ago i found out that the Thetford winter Series is to be no more and now we have all had confirmation that the Southern Xc Series will also no longer be with us after the last race next weekend :cry:

These two race series events have been on our calendar for many years and have become a must for the mountain bike cross country racer. How can it be that two hugely popular events have now ended?
I understand that the amount of work and effort that goes into these events is huge and these events are put together by people that volunteer to make these happen on top of there normal day jobs meaning a lot of there own time goes into these. When working a full time job and having a family, you can understand the pressure and burden that is undertaken. Couple that with the ever increasing problems with the Forestry Commission and land owners making it harder year by year to make our courses, there comes a point when you are trying so hard but the red tape just tops it all off.
I thought the Forestry Commission were happy to help ensure these races go ahead and help promote cycling? am i wrong in thinking that?

I have also heard that one of the reasons why the Thetford Winter Series ended was because of other race events starting up in and around the local area. This is sad as i am a die hard Thetford Winter Series fan and have been racing there for many years. I would chose this series over any other through the winter of which i'm sure many other people would do the same.

In all honesty i'm really gutted to loose two fantastic race events of which both will be hugely missed. I really hope (and keeping fingers tightly crossed) that this isn't a sign of things to come.

I would just like to say a missive thank you to the guys and girls that have organised 2 of the biggest and best race series events in the UK!! Yourselves and your events will be sorely missed!

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Agree it's a shame. MSG are doing a 4 race series in the SE apparently, but I don't know where. Shame to lose some good Southern XC venues. Someone may yet pick up the reins, but it feels like there's a dearth of XC races not seen for about 15 years.
  • G8 events are creating a new series this winter covering Sidcup, thetford and hadleigh. Might be worth a look.
    Www.g8events.Co.uk
  • G8 have missed the mark with their events IMO. Their 10 hour endurance style event at Thetford starts at midday on a Sunday. Their winter series has races on consecutive days. I hope they do well and events improve as I'd love to have some winter racing, but I think they need to plan things better.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    I think the Sun start is dumb idea for the 10hr enduro, can't see many people signing up for the full 10hr race. I'm local but the 10pm finish rules out having the family as support as they have work/school the next day.
  • evo3ben
    evo3ben Posts: 552
    I can understand why G8 have tried something a little different. Just changing things a bit to try and attract a bit more attention and put a new spin on things. I though the back to back races was not a bad idea to be honest but it does mean that you will have to race at least one back to back weekend to compete in the end of series points. Problem i would have with that is traveling back home and then back to the event again the next day, would get expensive and time consuming.
    The only reason i can see the 10hr event starting at midday is so that it encorporates a bit of night riding/racing with out it getting too late into the night. I can see how it will put people off though as it will effect people going to work the next day. Mind you, the less that go, the more chance of me winning the pairs race lol.
    MSG seem to be doing really well with the Eastern series. A series that has grown from strength to strength and one of which i make my priority races every year. I raced in the MSG SE race last this month (Porc) but numbers were considerably lower than in the Eastern series races (oh and just to add, i came 3rd and was my first podium, result!!). With MSG encorporating East and South east races together to make a bigger series does sound good but i still think numbers will be low for the SE races at first but hopefully will gather momentum. Its still undecided as to weather they will add the SE races to the Eastern series or weather to run as a seperate series though.
  • "Adam_Buckland - Member

As I'm sure some of you are aware the organisers of the Southern XC series are planning to step down next year (if you weren't aware please keep reading as I need your input) and I have put my hand in the air to make sure the series continues."

Sounds like there will be a 2016 Southern XC series