New member from Malta - usual newbie questions...

BenhurBottechia
BenhurBottechia Posts: 3
edited August 2015 in Road beginners
Hi All,

I have recently added a road bike to my ever faithful mountain bike. This is a Bottechia super 8avio...its a carbon frame designed for Gran Fondo racing....not a popular brand outside of Italy but its (to me at least) a gorgeous bike...

its reasonably well specced, but the wheels let it down a bit since they are basic Shimano R500s. they are holding up well to my 88kg weight (ideal weight 85kg) but I have been wondering whether i would see any benefits to upgrading to something like fulcrum Racing 3s...will the bike "feel" faster i.e. will it be more fun to ride??

Please understand that I do not race in any way, and cycle to keep fit/commute/have fun...so I cannot justify the expense of better wheels on performance improvements. if however it makes the bike more enjoyable, then I am prepared to spend the money...

what do you recommend?

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Personally I'd spend the money on a nice top or sunglasses.

Are you saying your bike isn't enjoyable now ? I cant see the wheels making that much difference to your enjoyment ?
  • Personally I'd spend the money on a nice top or sunglasses.

Are you saying your bike isn't enjoyable now ? I cant see the wheels making that much difference to your enjoyment ?

thanks for your reply - NO...the bike is fun in a big way!!!. its a different sensation to a mountain bike...i might be saying something obvious to you guys but its really cool to be cycling away at 40km/h totally silent!!

Its just that all the components of the bike are well specified with ultegra and Deda components (at least from my web research)...thought it might be worth giving it decent wheels...but yes, the bike is definitely spinning nicely as it is...

R.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Put in the hours first, to see if you can justify it.

Then, when you feel you can you will appreciate it much more when you do.