Hunt Bike Wheels

SMM
SMM Posts: 28
edited December 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi does anyone have any experience of Hunt bike wheels?

I'm looking at getting the HUNT 4Season Aero Road Wheelset as upgrades for my new Merckx EMX1.

Before I saw them I was leaning towards the Novatec Jetfly but the Hunt's look the part and what I can find out about them on the internet sounds good, but no full reviews have been published. They are cheaper than the jetfly's but also a bit heavier.

Any experience of the Hunts would be welcome. Cheers

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    FLashback... I seem to recall exactly the same thread, even mentioning the same Jetfly as an alternative, from another new user a few weeks back... am I wrong? :roll:
    left the forum March 2023
  • SMM
    SMM Posts: 28
    I've done a search on the forum and there's a couple of mentions of Hunt's but no real info given.
  • curto80
    curto80 Posts: 314
    I bought their 4 Season Discs to use as a set of road wheels for my Kinesis Tripster. I'm impressed, they get up to speed efficiently, spin well and are light. I found climbing on them easier than on the Crosslight wheels I had before. They were perfectly true out the box and not had any issues at all with them. Probably only done about 300km on them so far so can't comment on durability just yet.

Hunt are also a great company to deal with.

Overall I'm inpressed and thinking about getting a set of their training wheels as a winter wheelset for my Rose Xlite.
    Rose Xlite Team 3100 Di2
    Kinesis Tripster ATR
    Orro Oxygen
  • turbo1191
    turbo1191 Posts: 501
    It was myself that asked the same question about a month back. I too am in the same position.. wanting them for a cycling holiday but unfortunately didn't manage to get them on time. Been in touch with hunt and they respond to queries very quickly. I think I'm going to purchase a set when I return.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    If it's any help in your decision making process, Dominic Mason went to Hunt to have some wheels designed and built for his Resolution range of steel disc equipped road bikes.

https://masoncycles.cc/shop/categories/resolution-bikes

The Mason Resolution 105 Hydro was reviewed by Road CC earlier this year and achieved a 4.5 star rating.

http://road.cc/content/review/152814-mason-resolution-105-hydro

The wheels seemed to get an excellent review.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    FLashback... I seem to recall exactly the same thread, even mentioning the same Jetfly as an alternative, from another new user a few weeks back... am I wrong? :roll:

TBH - I nearly started a post on Hunt, as their wheels are supplied with Mason bikes which have had some good reviews recently -the wheels were not seen as weak points although to be fair not much was said about them (normally there is mention of wheel upgrades on £3000+ bikes). Surely its good to have alternatives to the usual Mavic wheels as well as the handbuilt options.

+1 to post above - which I have just seen.
  • The Trans Continental was won on a set of Hunt 4 seasons Disc wheels. The rider does though work for Hunt.
  • SLR021
    SLR021 Posts: 79
    Mate of mine has a new Mason with Hunt wheels. He seems suitably impressed...
  • I'm looking at Hunts too, they seem like good value. Similarly, I can't find any published reviews, which is a bit irritating.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    I'm looking at Hunts too, they seem like good value. Similarly, I can't find any published reviews, which is a bit irritating.

FWIW there are some comments a fair way down the Road CC review I linked to above:-

"The collaboration with Hunt wheels for the Mason x Hunt 4Season wheels has created a set of hoops that is exactly to Mason's specification while using the experience of Hunt to define the ride and durability.

We've seen the range of Hunt wheels here http://tinyurl.com/ka8kmux and by speccing the likes of EZO bearings and Pillar Spoke Re-enforcement (PSR) triple butted spokes you get a massively durable wheelset at a sensible weight. A quoted weight of 1585g is decent for a disc wheel that is designed to be ridden though all sorts of conditions. Things like brass nipples and stainless hardware on the quick release makes them pretty much winter proof.

This is the same pair that were used on the Definition test bike so they've covered well over a thousand miles without missing a beat.

Stiffness is high, you can really notice that when sprinting or climbing out of the saddle yet they don't feel harsh in any conditions. The wide rim allowing the running of the 28mm specced Continental tyres means you can tweak the pressure for comfort but even pumped up to 120psi the spoke layup seems to absorb any bumps."

Not exactly a full review but some complimentary observations which are reassuring
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Interesting how reality can be distorted at please.

EZO bearings, as used by Novatec, have been blamed for years for the poor performance of the latter in bad weather, yet in this review they are flagged as a selling point, something to make your wheels winter-proof...

:lol:
  • stevie63
    stevie63 Posts: 481
    The latest copy on cycling plus has a review of these, and whilst the review was positive they did mention that the spoke nipples would be better if they were not aluminium and that the spoke tensions were uneven.
  • jashin73
    jashin73 Posts: 5
    edited August 2015
    Yeah, and to be fair to Hunt, they've included that review in their 'media' section on the website. I'm looking at the 4 Season Aero wheels, which have brass spoke nipples. Not sure about the uneven tensions though - surely you'd want everything to be spot on for your new company trying to build up a position in the market?
  • curto80
    There's nothing wrong with the spoke tension on mine. They have a 60 day return policy so you can try them out risk free.
    Rose Xlite Team 3100 Di2
    Kinesis Tripster ATR
    Orro Oxygen
  • Cool, well that's good to know. Are you pleased with them? Which model have you got?
  • curto80
    I have the disc wheels, with shimano ice rotors (or whatever they're called). I really like them.
    Rose Xlite Team 3100 Di2
    Kinesis Tripster ATR
    Orro Oxygen
  • turbo1191
    turbo1191 Posts: 501
    I just hit the button to buy the 1420g aero wheelset . . Will let you all know how I get on with them. :D
  • Received my wheels from hunt a few weeks ago and just got round to fitting them. Gorgeous wheel out the box and fairly light. Head and shoulders above my carbon clinchers I had before. Bike feels more planted and gave me more confidence on the decents. Don't think I'll be changing these wheels in a hurry (hopefully!)
  • I was looking at the 4 season disc wheels but typically the rider weight limit was a bit too low for my fatty boy weight! Got some Pro-Lite Revo disc wheels that I'm very impressed with through Wiggle. Not sure what their non disc wheels are like though.
  • I just put a deposit for the Aero Light Disc wheelset. Here in January apparently. Great weight and look to be a solid wheelset. Saved myself some £ than buying some Reynolds.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Anybody using the 'HUNT Race Season Aero Wide Road Wheelset' as clinchers and can confirm what they are like for fitting clinchers tyres to?
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    I've been looking at their 4season rim brake wheels as they are 24F/28R with brass nipples and tubeless compatible, would also like to know how easy/hard it is to fit tubed and tubless tyres?
  • I've got the 1420g aero wheelset.. tyres went on no bother with tubes..
  • So, the Hunt wheels are handbuilts, which means that parts can be replaced as and when?
    Being a tart I want a pair - sharing the same surname...
  • Yeh.. They even supply spare spokes when they send you them. Couldn't be happier with mine.
  • Being a tart I want a pair - sharing the same surname...

He's got a pair too, look how happy he is!

Jeremy-Hunt--014.jpg
  • Wonder how the Cosine range from Wiggle compare?
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Ugo, in another thread concerning cx disc wheels you said about going for 32 spokes, does this apply to road use as much as cx? just saw that Hunt use 24 and 28 so could be a factor

thanks
    Jon
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Disc brake wheels are not limited in life by rim wear. Spoke life is now critical. Hunt's wheels 24 spoke use a pillar aero spoke with a 2.0mm elbow. While this will be enough in most cases (they have a stiff rim which is off set as well I think) it may not enough for some. Myself I am riding 24 spoke Velocity ailerons with CX-ray spokes again 2.0mm diameter elbows and they have been fine for the last 4000km but that is not much either (putting 200 miles on them a week at the moment so it won't take too long to get some proper miles in them either).

I do build 24 spoke disc brake wheels but caution leads me to use triple butted spokes with a 2.2mm diameter at the elbow as this increases service life. Couple that with an offset deep rim front and rear and that should be enough for nearly all. 28 spoke and 32 spoke wheels I think are for those who put very high miles on wheels, very heavy riders tourists or for those using shallow rims. I don't think what Hunt are doing is bad or wrong but looking at the spec of all there wheels they are making them as light as they can for the price point. That sells by the way so it make good sense to get them built that way.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.