Hello and a newbie with Questions

alexchung
alexchung Posts: 11
edited August 2015 in Road beginners
Hello,

Long time follower and first time poster :D
I am normally a moutain biker but thoughts of getting a road bike are getting to me and will allow me to get out on a bike (which is the main thing) when I can't get out to the trails.
Currently looking at some road bikes and looking for some advice for someone who is starting road biking. I am have or will have a budget of £1500 to £2000 (which have to buy the bike, spd, shoes and maybe some bib shorts...can't ride a roadie with baggies can I?? :D)
I know that there are good deals out there for 2015 bikes as the new 2016 stuff is around the corner. What do you recommend for a first bike (been eyeing up the Trek range or something from Canyon as well)
Shall I go down the carbon route or just focus on getting something that will do for now.
I am 5 foot 10 inches and height and have been looking at 56cm bikes would that be correct for my height? I had a seat on a Trek Domane 4.1 the other day in 54cm and 56cm and the 54cm one I felt I had a lot of weight on the handlebars, I take it this is a bad thing?
Also I have never ridden with clipped in pedals so that will be a new experience, would getting a set of MTB Spds be an easier option rather than using Road specific spds?
Thanks in advance,
Alex

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Thats exactly why i got a road bike a couple of years ago, to keep my fitness up when the trails turn to sludge. I have a trek road bike which has been good for me. Until i got a road bike i never wore bib shorts but wear then all the time now, even mountain biking as they fit better and you just get on with riding. Bib tights are also good for the much colder weather.

My advice would be to read up on road bike groupsets etc. so you know what you are looking at. Tiagra is the minimum you would want. Also rim brakes are very poor compared to hydraulic disc brakes, especially in the wet. Unlike a mountain bike you have to setup the riding position accurately on a road bike or you will get aches and pains.
  • Thanks for the advice. I was told to look for 105s as that is the best bang for your buck.
    Yea was a bit apprehensive about going back to rim brakes (the last bike I had with rim brakes was my BMX in my teens :D) but guess the Road market is slowly getting used to the idea of disc brakes.
    Alex
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Also I have never ridden with clipped in pedals so that will be a new experience, would getting a set of MTB Spds be an easier option rather than using Road specific spds?
    Thanks in advance,
    Alex
    Yes, I use SPDs on my road bikes rather than road SPD-SLs. Just makes things easier clipping-in to double-sided SPDs.
  • keefyp
    keefyp Posts: 5
    Here's my advice as a recent newbie..

>>>will have a budget of £1500 to £2000

Try before you buy. Ignore most of the tech stuff and buy something you feel comfortable on (and like the colour...) If you're going up hill (that's a small mountain) and down dale, get a bike, that has some low gearing and is not just geared for speed.

A Giant Defy or Trek Domane is a safe bet and won't let you down. Pick the one you like, spend around a grand, and you'll be very happy.

>>>>can't ride a roadie with baggies can I?? :D)

You can, and I do, some of the time. Wear what you're comfortable in. If you're not kitted out in full Lycra road gear, you'll probably get more respect from road users!

>>>I am 5 foot 10 inches and height and have been looking at 56cm bikes would that be correct for my height?

Try the bikes out. My local bike store recommended and sold me an XL Giant Defy. I'm 6ft2ins. IMHO, it's too big. The Giant size guide and the Giant store in London says I should be on an L. So, I've spent recent mths messing around with stems and seat height, trying to avoid neck pain.

>>>>Also I have never ridden with clipped in pedals

Nor had I. I bought Shimano SPD530 pedals (flat on one side, clips on other). And SH56 multidirectional cleats.
    And it's been dead easy to get used to this. What's all the fuss? I also read a very good article/argument that basically says it makes no difference to the typical casual roadie whether you use clips or not.

Best of luck, and enjoy.
  • effillo
    effillo Posts: 257
    With such a budget I assume you know biking is for you, which is obvious I guess if you are used to mountain biking.

There are some great deals about on Giants at the moment, the Defy 0 is hell of a bike for around £800 at the moment, Ultegra group set, alsogreat on some Cannondales. Make sure you ride a few, as it is your first bike it will feel odd I guess compared to MB but still well worth doing. Only you can decide if you want Carbon and how much of your budget to spend, only advice if give is if you aren't planning on upgrading the frame for a while then make sure it is something you are happy with so you don't end up with bike envy and want to chop it in sooner. I'd steer clear of anything less than 105, as you've been advised this is best return for £ imo.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Once you get up to the £800-1000 mark it's hard to buy a bad bike. You should get the new 11 speed 105 for that; I'd suggest a compact 50 / 36 chainset and say 12-30 cassette. Again at that price level there's not much difference between alu and carbon frames, so consider / try both. You'll get a carbon fork either way.

By all means use the manufacturers' size guides, but be aware that different makers size their frames in different ways. I know a few riders of your height who ride 54cm frames. If you're between sizes, choose the smaller because you can make it fit by swapping to a longer stem / setback seatpost. Too large a frame and you're stuck!

If possible, buy from a bike shop that's prepared to order in a bike for you to try, will let you test ride a few, and that will include a basic bike fit. I was going to recommend Epic Cycles till I spotted you're in Glagow! At that point I started to think about mudguards for some reason...

Don't just go chasing the highest spec; choose a bike that fits you properly and that you really like the look of.

SPDs and baggies are fine. I have double sided SPD pedals on both my road bikes. I have embraced the lycra though, and rarely ride in anything but bibshorts because they are just so comfy.
  • Thanks for the advice guys. I was looking at Dolan bikes as well. So choices choices :lol:
    Alex
  • andUK
    andUK Posts: 85
    Quite new to road myself and after years of mtb I bought a road bike end of last year.

I'm 5'-10" and opted for a 54cms, put a longer stem on it and find it really comfy to ride on the hoods or drops.

A prime factor in buying the bike when I did was that it was half rrp due to its being a 2014 model and the 2015 model had come out: alu frame, carbon forks, sora groupset for £375, I thought this set up to be a basic minimum and to be honest I haven't been disappointed and really love riding this bike, just completed my first 100 mile ride.

Only thing I've changed on it are the tyres, I'm not looking to race so have put the relatively bulletproof Duranos on there (I cycle bridlepaths when out on my own); and the cassette - years of high cadence low gear hill-climbing on an mtb means at the moment I have a 11-34 on the back for comfy hill climbing and we have some very nice hills nearby. Maybe I'll man-up over time and put a 11-32 on!

Biggest thing I've noticed is that road cycling requires a greater degree of fitness than mtb ... or at least the mtb'ing that I used to do!