More cyclists in Edinburgh than Glasgow?

bflk
bflk Posts: 240
edited August 2015 in Road beginners
Took my bike over to Edinburgh today for the first time and road along the coast to North Berwick returning inland via Drem and Longniddry. Lovely flattish ride but I couldn't believe how many cyclists I saw on the way out. Admittedly a fair proportion were MTB riders which I simply never see north of Glasgow but I wondered is it

(a) more cyclists in Edinburgh
(b) they all go that way as its the best course
(c) hotter than normal

???

Anyway it was a cracking ride only mishap was taking a wrong turn on the only hill of the day. :oops: My route back was largely deserted, at least the first half anyway.

https://www.strava.com/activities/370384224/overview

Comments

• k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    I've never noticed that. It's probably just that it's a pretty popular route - did part of it with the club on Saturday. The only problem is that you usually go out with a tailwind so it's tougher getting home.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    Yesterday was particularly busy in East Lothian with Musselburgh, Haddington and North Berwick clubs all out and about in numbers.

After posting my route to Strava I ran the Fly-by selecting all cyclists in the area. The resulting bedlam was quite impressive.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I find its largely weather related. A nice sunny day brings out SO many more cyclists than a dull grey windy day.
  • bflk
    bflk Posts: 240
    Yesterday was particularly busy in East Lothian with Musselburgh, Haddington and North Berwick clubs all out and about in numbers.

After posting my route to Strava I ran the Fly-by selecting all cyclists in the area. The resulting bedlam was quite impressive.

Yes I think I hit record numbers of fly-bys too. I even gave up waving after a while. :)