Bodensee Radmarathon

term1te
term1te Posts: 1,462
Anyone taken part in the Bodensee Radmarathon, aka Gran Fondo Lake Contance?

I'm looking for an event to finish off the summer, and this one isn't too far from me. I'd be grateful for any comments on it.

Thanks

Comments

• robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    I haven't done it but am also thinking about registering this year. Need to get my four Swiss cycling events in the bag so I can claim my free Assos jersey :)

Just a heads up, I did the Alpenchallenge on Sunday which was a great route (Albula, Maloja, Splügen). Perhaps the most beautiful of all of the Swiss sportives. One to think about for next year, perhaps.
  • term1te
    Thanks for the heads-up on the Alpenchallenge, I'll look into that for next year. I've done the Gruyere event for the last 8 or 9 years, but this time I'm in the US the week before, and don't fancy getting back to Basel and immediately heading down there.

There's only a couple of days left to sign up for the Bodensee. I'll see if I can find a campsite near Stein am Rhein to stay over the Friday night and then decide. As the route is so flat, I'm tempted to take some vintage Itanlian steel to ride, if the weather is dry. Strangely, I'm writting this in Stein, by the Rhein, unfortunately the wrong Stein.
  • robbo2011
    I didn't realise there was such a short registration deadline. I went to the website and there are several starting places, but no official start time. What's the deal, do you just rock up any time you like and get going?

i didn't see anything about timing chips either..
  • term1te
    My understanding is that it is not timed, so no chips. You tell them from which of the six starting points you'll leave from, and they'll have your number and "goodie bag" waiting for you. It says breakfast is served from 6am, so I'm guessing you just start anytime after that? If you do the "gold" tour, you'll take the ferry at one point, the cost of which is included in the entry fee.

I still haven't decided if I'm up for it yet.
  • robbo2011
    I decided not to bother in the end. There are a couple of decent group rides in the meetup group i'm registered with planned in September, I'll go on these instead. Far more sociable