Experienced ISM users needed, issues with Attack Saddle

mawashi
mawashi Posts: 48
edited August 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi Guys,

I recently got an ISM Attack saddle and for some reason I can't get it to feel right.

My inseam is around 85.5cm and with my other road saddle which is a San Marco carbon arrowhead, the measurement is 76.5cm from the top of the saddle to the bb.

I tried using the LeMond method and got a measurement of 75.5 cm but it was way too short, so short that even when I pushed the saddle all the way back it was still too short and cramped in the cockpit. After 50km I wanted to throw it away the pain was :evil:!

With the arrowhead I tend to sit way far back and just grind, the width make sit rather comfortable but with the attack I could not feel comfortable sitting back and when sitting forwards, my thighs rubbed against the sides of the nose.

Please help.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Not all saddles suit all people. You could try and pull in the nose of it by using zip ties between it to make it narrower ?
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,149
    as above, it may simply be that you and the saddle(s) don't match

as for le mond and sundry other off-bike methods, no, just no, there's no peer reviewed scientifc evidence that any such method is better than old roadies' tales

either get a good bike fitter or take the time to experiment to find what's best for you
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Hi Guys,

I recently got an ISM Attack saddle and for some reason I can't get it to feel right.

My inseam is around 85.5cm and with my other road saddle which is a San Marco carbon arrowhead, the measurement is 76.5cm from the top of the saddle to the bb.

I tried using the LeMond method and got a measurement of 75.5 cm but it was way too short, so short that even when I pushed the saddle all the way back it was still too short and cramped in the cockpit. After 50km I wanted to throw it away the pain was :evil:!

With the arrowhead I tend to sit way far back and just grind, the width make sit rather comfortable but with the attack I could not feel comfortable sitting back and when sitting forwards, my thighs rubbed against the sides of the nose.

Please help.

I've got a road and an attack. the attack is exceptionally comfortable once you dial in the correct position. for me its not as i would normally have a normal road saddle, i drop the seat post very slightly 1.5-2mm and (because my fit indicates i need to do it) have the nose angled at -1 degree. now chances are thats not what you'd want to do so i suggest its about experimenting. also my first ride on it was 94 miles which is definitely not reccomended!!!
  • mawashi
    I've got a road and an attack. the attack is exceptionally comfortable once you dial in the correct position. for me its not as i would normally have a normal road saddle, i drop the seat post very slightly 1.5-2mm and (because my fit indicates i need to do it) have the nose angled at -1 degree. now chances are thats not what you'd want to do so i suggest its about experimenting. also my first ride on it was 94 miles which is definitely not reccomended!!!

Well I did a 60km ride on the badly set upped attack... Not something I'll like to do again.

Guess a few more painful rides are on the horizon before I get it settled... or if I can get it settled lol!

I tried it again today and cos I tend to sit a bit further back instead of perching on the tip of a saddle, I had to move it all the way back yet, it still felt wrong. Plus the saddle height is already pretty high for me as it's 77cm and my inseam is only 85.5cm

Guess I'll be riding around the block with the a couple of allen keys just to make sure.

Thanks
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,149
    for saddle position, my preference is to be balanced, you can set this up with the bike on a turbo or even do it (statically) next to a wall or in a door way (so that you don't fall over...)

this page describes the point of balance approach...

https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bikefit/2011/05/seat-set-back-for-road-bikes/

...might be worth a try
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • mawashi
    for saddle position, my preference is to be balanced, you can set this up with the bike on a turbo or even do it (statically) next to a wall or in a door way (so that you don't fall over...)

this page describes the point of balance approach...

https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bikefit/2011/05/seat-set-back-for-road-bikes/

...might be worth a try

Thx, I'll give it a try.