Which tyres?? (Sorry)

jonnyashworth
jonnyashworth Posts: 547
edited August 2015 in MTB buying advice
I am looking at changing my tyres out pretty soon and after some opinions on what for... I currently run conti RQ's black chilli 2.2 tubeless front and rear. They have been great tyres all summer however... The sidewalls are cracking all over the shop (not leaking fluid yet) and they don't fill me with confidence when cornering in the wet.
I ride a 160/140 bike (26er). I am after something with all mountain (enduro) grip levels and descent rolling resistance that can be run all year round and goes up tubeless nice and easy.
Currently looking at HR2 3c for front and some other maxxis for rear.
I have always had a bit of tunnel vision when it comes to tyres.... only really gone for conti and maxxis in the past.
What do you recommend? Also where from to get a good price??
Yeti SB66c 2013

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Specialized Purgatory Grid 2bliss are my favourites at the moment. My last tyres were black chilli rubber queens.
    The Purgatory has a much stiffer side wall so is much better over roots and rocks. Weight is similar and grip in most conditions is a little better.
    I also have On One Chunky Monkeys and they are terrible. The compound is so hard that they still look new after a week of alpine riding. Grip is non existent. They weigh a ton and seem prone to punctures.
  • Don B
    Don B Posts: 122
    From what i can see, High Roller 2 front and Ardent rear seems like a good combo....i cant seem to find the Ardent at a reasonable price though.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Hans Dampf front and then either an HD rear or a Nobby Nic if you want something slightly faster rolling, go up tubeless as easy as any other tyre you'll find, don't bother with TLR, not necesary, just regular folding.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.