Help specifying disc brakes

bmxboy10
bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
edited August 2015 in Road buying advice
I have a Fratello Disc on order. I need to buy a new shimano groupset so I am swaying between standard 105 shifters and TRP HY RDs or the full Shimano R685 system. Any views on these two configurations and what size rotors do I need? I assume 140/160mm rotors but can you mix and match rotors with Shimano hydraulic brakes? Can I use another manufacturers rotors?

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    It's the frame/forks that dictate rotor sizes - you can mix and match rotors although they're not universal - some floating rotors don't fit some brakes. Make of hub often dictates rotor choice too e.g. Shimano use Centrelock whereas most others use a 6-hole ISO pattern.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    If it were my build I would stick with the TRP Hy/Rd and put the money you save over the full hydraulics towards a better set of handbuilt disc wheels.

I have the TRP Spyres on my Equilibrium Disc build and have no complaints at all with them. As I understand it the Hy/Rd's are a step up from the Spyres so I reckon they should do everything you need without going to the expense of full hydraulic shifters
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,280
    I have had my HyRD replaced under warranty as apprently there is something wrong with it. It did compensate, but as soon as the pad was 20-30% worn, it stopped compensating and virtually became useless. This is a Mach 2 version. Now I have a new one, let's see if it was a fault or it is a design problem... will take a few months to find out
    left the forum March 2023
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Having done my homework there is not a lot in it in terms of price. Does anyone know of a 160mm 6 bolt or a 140mm 6 bolt rotor that will work with the R685 system?
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    The best option for function is full hydraulics, better modulation and power. But compared to rim brakes most quality cable discs will be a big improvement. My new bike is coming with r685 shifters, 785 brakes and 105 as i wanted better braking. It just depends on what you need, di2 etc. Is not worth the expense for me.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    The best option for function is full hydraulics, better modulation and power. But compared to rim brakes most quality cable discs will be a big improvement. My new bike is coming with r685 shifters, 785 brakes and 105 as i wanted better braking. It just depends on what you need, di2 etc. Is not worth the expense for me.

This. I'd go full hydra now, not much of a premium and it's a better performance. The cautious spec would be 160 front/140 rear, but shim spec 140 front/back and they aren't known for cutting things fine on tolerance ;-) I ride SRAM on my winter bike so can't answer the question re mix & match on Shim.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,280
    If you buy from scratch, go for the Shimano setup... the HyRD are an upgrade for those like me who want to keep their levers and don't want to spend too much...
    left the forum March 2023
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,411
    As with most others I would definitely go full hydraulic if starting from scratch.